CHARLEY CHASE AT HAL ROACH THE TALKIES: VOLUME FOUR 1929 now available

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

CHARLEY CHASE AT HAL ROACH THE TALKIES: VOLUME FOUR 1929 now available

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:14 am

Image[/url]

Street Date: 10/25/2022

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rob Farr
Godfather

Re: Coming in October..........

Postby Rob Farr » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:04 am

Praise the Lord!!!
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:18 am

Oh, this is GREAT news!

William Ferry
Cugine

Postby William Ferry » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:45 am

Sweet macaroons! Wonderful news, Richard. I'm there! Not to spoil the surprise, but have sound elements been found, or will this be a mix like the Langdon collection (either format will be, shall we say, a darb). Thank you for all your efforts. Because of you we can have nice things!

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:03 am

Richard -- receiving this wonderful news reminded me of a few words from Alastair Sim:

https://youtu.be/5MzMqrq0fZs

All I can say is -- THANK YOU! (and thanks to Kit Parker, too!)

Ed
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:34 am

So I see some of the natter on the net has some nitwits (like over at Nitwitvile) speculating and deciding what we should or shouldn't put on this set. (we're not including you here Ed), All I can say is, it's just blather, and has nothing to do with what we may or may not put on this set, and is not coming from us. Everyone just sit tight and, as usual, stop spreading bullshit pulled from various asses asses, wanna-be "experts" who wish they were part of what we are doing and are not. Kinda like the folk who have whined over the last five years "why haven't they done the 1929 talkies", who will now probably pat themselves on the back and think they gave us the idea to do them.

They didn't. We told you on the first set how and why we were doing them the way we were doing them and that's the way we've done them. We will tell you more when there's more to tell and we feel like telling it to you. Stop trying to work yourselves up into expectations we did not give you, It's a long way to October (and to Tipperary come to think of it, why don't some of you go there).

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:33 am

The Amazon page is up for pre-orders:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B42XYWJL/

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:25 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:The Amazon page is up for pre-orders:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B42XYWJL/

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Here's a snippet view of an email from Amazon I received this morning -- it won't be long now:

Charley Chase 1929 Talkies DVD (1).jpg
Charley Chase 1929 Talkies DVD (1).jpg (213.3 KiB) Viewed 11152 times

Thank you Richard, and thank you Kit Parker!

Well, I'm stoked - and due to arrive on Charley Chase's birthday, no less. Mr. Chase always had impeccable timing.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:53 am

Wow! These are films that somebody like me has really looked forward to seeing . I ordered the set from Deep discount. They are a little cheaper than amazon, but they don't guarantee the 2-day shipping. That's fine for me. Saving a little money just gives me more money in my pocket to spend on more classic films. To get free shipping it deep discount one month by $25 worth of product, but that is also not a problem for me. I have more problem at editing my choices than adding to them. With the promo code plunge I got an additional 10% off. I'm looking forward to these coming in my mailbox
Agnes McFadden

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:52 am

Agnes McFadden wrote:Wow! These are films that somebody like me has really looked forward to seeing . I ordered the set from Deep discount. They are a little cheaper than amazon, but they don't guarantee the 2-day shipping. That's fine for me. Saving a little money just gives me more money in my pocket to spend on more classic films. To get free shipping it deep discount one month by $25 worth of product, but that is also not a problem for me. I have more problem at editing my choices than adding to them. With the promo code plunge I got an additional 10% off. I'm looking forward to these coming in my mailbox

Agnes, I just received an email from Amazon that my order shipped today - I'm in Germany so it won't arrive before October 20th - but that means everyone in the States will be receiving CC 1929 much sooner, with Amazon deliveries starting tomorrow and Deep Discount shortly afterwards.

Hal Roach 1929 talkies have always been especially fascinating to me, a mixture of silent comedy technique embracing the new technology of the talkies. Charley Chase is a great favorite of mine, plus we'll see many of the supporting players who were also stars in their own right: Thelma Todd, Anita Garvin, Edgar Kennedy, Gale Henry... All of these films are doubtless going to prove delightful, and aren't we lucky to be discovering most (if not all of them) for the first time, in my case at an age when I've been aware of them for 50-plus years but never expected to see them in my lifetime.

We're in for surprises I'm sure, and I think the still below from GREAT GOBS exemplifies that point!

Great Gobs.jpg
Great Gobs.jpg (92.36 KiB) Viewed 10458 times