Roscoe Arbuckle Cameo in Our Hospitality----NOT!

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Rob Farr
Godfather

Roscoe Arbuckle Cameo in Our Hospitality----NOT!

Postby Rob Farr » Tue May 26, 2020 11:43 am

In charting Our Hospitality for a commentary track I'm prepping, I stepped through the scene of Buster helping a fat lady down from the train carriage. Sure looks like Roscoe to me. You never see her at any other point during the train ride so I guess we are to assume that she boarded near the end of the journey.

Roscoe in Our Hospitality 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zSnB-X ... sp=sharing
Roscoe in Our Hospitality 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11is9u2 ... sp=sharing
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Roscoe Arbuckle Cameo in Our Hospitality

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue May 26, 2020 4:06 pm

No, it isn't, that's an older woman, who's much larger than a post-scandal Roscoe Arbuckle actually was.

This ID has been attempted and shot down before this, it isn't Arbuckle.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

John Bengtson

Re: Roscoe Arbuckle Cameo in Our Hospitality----NOT!

Postby John Bengtson » Thu May 28, 2020 1:09 am

The Hayseed (1919) at left. Each person is standing full height.

At left, Roscoe in Hey Pop (1932).

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu May 28, 2020 3:12 am

So, what are you trying to say John, do you think it is Arbuckle or not? because, the woman is definitely shorter than Arbuckle (Keaton barely comes up to Roscoe's shoulder in THE HAYSEED pic), Keaton is nearly the same height as the woman in OUR HOSPITALITY), and look at the neck wattles, which are way more pronounced than Roscoe's, especially in 1923, post-scandal, when Roscoe was actually at his trimmest (he actually has a jawline in pictures of the period).

Both Paul Gierucki and David B. Pearson, the actual Arbuckle experts, have weighed in that it is NOT Roscoe Arbuckle as well, every time Buster is paired up against some fat lady in a film people like to think it's Arbuckle, sorry, it's just not the case.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

John Bengtson

Postby John Bengtson » Thu May 28, 2020 1:09 pm

A continuous take, Natalie and the other person exit the carriage in turn, both land solidly on the ground, and all three actors smoothly cross each other's paths. At right, Buster's legs (box) as he helps Natalie down from the carriage. Did they stop mid-scene to dig a pit for the other person to sink into, or drag in a platform for both Buster and Natalie to stand on? Or is the other person simply far too short to be Roscoe?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu May 28, 2020 1:17 pm

John Bengtson wrote:
A continuous take, Natalie and the other person exit the carriage in turn, both land solidly on the ground, and all three actors smoothly cross each other's paths. At right, Buster's legs (box) as he helps Natalie down from the carriage. Did they stop mid-scene to dig a pit for the other person to sink into, or drag in a platform for both Buster and Natalie to stand on? Or is the other person simply far too short to be Roscoe?

Too short, too fat, too old, and the wrong sex, this is an older fat woman, not Roscoe Arbuckle.

Her nose is also too upward-lifted and comes to a narrower point than Roscoe's.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Thu May 28, 2020 2:55 pm

I concur. The individual in question is not Roscoe Arbuckle.