Any info on George Rowe?

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Louie Despres
Associate

Any info on George Rowe?

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:24 am

Anybody got a quick bio on this comedian? I've always liked his dim-wit character but trying to find out any information about him on the web is a dead end.

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Re: Any info on George Rowe?

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:42 am

Hello Louis...
Steve Massa researched the little oddity George Rowe for a cover article in Slapstick! magazine years ago.
The back issues have been turning up at eBay and - to my surprise - going for big bucks.

SteveR

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:52 am

I know that some of the back issues were available on line for a while, but I never saw that article. HELP!!

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi Louis
I wouldn't get too excitied about the article. He's still a mystery man as there were scads of George Rowes. We did find a few addresses near the Roach studio which may have been him - but everything led to a brick wall. Sam Gill tried to locate him in the 1960s. Sam had a meeting with Eddie Baker, and when Baker got there he said that he had run into Rowe on the way there but hadn't gotten his phone number or address. Sam tried to find him then, but had no luck.

In the article I wrote about the difficulties in tracking him down, and reported the scant specific info that was found. The rest of the piece was an appreciation of his work - going from his first sightings in 1920 to the end of the silent era, plus a filmography.

If you send me an email with your address I'll send you a copy.

Steve

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:55 pm

So I got the article (THANKS again, Steve!), read it, and am now wondering if it has been confirmed that George is the guy at the beginning of "The Mind Reader"?

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:24 am

Hi Louie
Thanks for the scans. The guy in question is definitely not George Rowe. In the first scan he's standing next to Tom Wilson and is even about an inch taller. I've never seen the THE MIND READER, and when I was writing the article a reliable (or so I thought) source told me that it might have been George in the opening.

Steve

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:46 am

Well good to know that "Mind Reader" bit has been cleared up.