THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY on ARTE Jan 2, 2019

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Ed Watz
Associate

THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY on ARTE Jan 2, 2019

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:51 am

The ARTE Channel in Europe will show the latest reconstruction of THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY January 2, 2019 at 11:50pm. Other L&H shorts will follow, including Lobster Films' versions of DO DETECTIVES THINK? and FROM SOUP TO NUTS. Thanks to Trevor Dorman for sharing this information. The Google translation below is taken from Arte's German website:

Laurel & Hardy: The Battle of the Century

bat.jpeg
bat.jpeg (120.98 KiB) Viewed 8750 times

The outcome of this boxing match is already clear: the referee (Sam Lufkin, right), Canvasback Clump (Stan Laurel, 2nd from right), Thunderclap Callahan (Noah Young, left) and the manager (Oliver Hardy, 2nd from left) ,
After a hard fight, Canvasback Clump (Stan Laurel) takes a nap while manager (Oliver Hardy) waits patiently.
May the pie fight of the century begin!

USA 1927, 20 min - with Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Noah Young, Eugene Pallette, Charlie Hall, Dorothy Coburn, Ellinor Vanderveer, Anita Garvin, Dick Sutherland, Lou Costello

Summary:
Oliver Hardy in the role of a sports manager who wants to make his friend Stan perform in a boxing match. Stan loses to the pro Thunder-Clap Callahan, now the two depend on another source of income. The next day Ollie receives an insurance broker's offer to insure Stan against injury. Ollie wants to promote the injury and puts out a banana peel. Anyone who stumbles, but is a pie delivery man, who then throws Ollie a pie in the face. Ollie can not back down and in no time the whole block is involved in the pie fight.
content
In this film were supposedly 4,000 cream pies effectively used for a virtuoso staged battle, even this alone made it one of the most popular "Laurel & Hardy" movies. Nevertheless, comedy buffs regretted for a long time that the second reel only partially survived and so most of the highlight of the pie fight was no longer available. Therefore, the film ran until recently only in a 13-minute version. In 2015, the second reel was rediscovered thanks to film historian Jon Mirsalis.
background:
ARTE shows the TV premiere of the version reconstructed by the Filmmuseum Munich with the complete pie battle; The reconstruction is based on the obtained continuity script. Freshly digitized are the 35mm copy of the first reel from the rights holder CCA and the 16mm copy of the second reel from Lobster Films, Paris. New to the version is the sepia color of the first reel, as stated in the traditional production documents, the second reel remained black and white. Still missing at the end of reel one is the linking passage (about 3 minutes) when the Ollie receives the insurance policy on Stan; this is bridged by explanatory titles and photos.
broadcast Info:
Performers: Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Eugene Pallette, Charlie Hall, Ellinor Vanderveer, Anita Garvin, Noah Young Director: Clyde Bruckman Producer: Hal Roach B & W, Music, Silent Film

TV program of the German-French broadcaster Association Relative à la Télévision Européenne . ARTE is broadcasting a full program focusing on culture, extraordinary documentaries, contemporary feature films, as well as music and theater productions.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

David Pickard

Re: THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY on ARTE Jan 2, 2019

Postby David Pickard » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:04 am

Exciting news! Now I need to find out how to access ARTE TV in the UK to avoid the disappointment of not being able to see these. Do you know when the other L&H material will be shown?

On a related note, is Lobster planning to make these shorts / films available on DVD?

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:20 pm

David Pickard wrote:Exciting news! Now I need to find out how to access ARTE TV in the UK to avoid the disappointment of not being able to see these. Do you know when the other L&H material will be shown?

On a related note, is Lobster planning to make these shorts / films available on DVD?

Here's the schedule of the Laurel & Hardy films being shown on ARTE: https://www.arte.tv/de/search/?q=laurel%20hardy&page=1

With this reconstructed THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY being the catalyst, I've heard rumblings for a couple of years now about a possible "L&H silents" DVD release. If it doesn't become a reality through European rights holder CCA and the Munich Filmmuseum series, Lobster Films might be a likely alternative. Serge Bromberg has been touring extensively with his "Retour de Flamme" film rediscovery series, and of late BATTLE has been the centerpiece of his presentations.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:52 pm

I'll say no more, but the answer to David's question is "yes.".

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:43 am

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (124.6 KiB) Viewed 8615 times

I realize it's a fixation with me, but I would like to finally see my favorite Laurel & Hardy silent in its complete form before I kick off. Perhaps THE SECOND 100 YEARS will be included in a forthcoming set...someday.