Buy This Book: Asheville Movies: The Silent Era

So you want to discuss silent drama, science fiction, horror, noir, mystery and other NON-COMEDY films? Look no further, this is the place.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Buy This Book: Asheville Movies: The Silent Era

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Hey Gang,

Frank Thompson has embarked on a series of film books about silent era filmmaking in and around North Carolina that are terrific reads about an area of silent film history previously unknown for the most part. Volume One of what will be several volumes, ASHEVILLE MOVIES: THE SILENT ERA, is now available as an e-book or pre-order:

https://www.menwithwingspress.com/

All new information on regional filmmaking by some famous (and not so famous) names in the good ol' sunny south. Frank is a terrific writer as well and makes the newly unearthed from original research info palatable and entertaining as well.

This book is a rediscovery of a lost era in Asheville history, covering the films produced here between 1900 and 1929. There are 136 images, most of which I guarantee that you've never seen before.

Of the fifty-plus films made in and around the city during that period, only one survives -- "The Conquest of Canaan" (1921) starring Thomas Meighan and Doris Kenyon.

I says pick this up, time to learn something new for a change.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Frank Thompson

Re: Buy This Book: Asheville Movies: The Silent Era

Postby Frank Thompson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:20 am

Bless you for your kind words, Richard.

May I add that the e-book is available now for the cup of coffee price of $4.99. and if you pre-order the physical book, you'll get it postage paid.

Although "Asheville Movies" is specific as to location, I think it should be interesting and fun for anyone interested in the silent era. Go to the website and you can see a couple of sample pages.

And if you know nothing about me, which is highly likely, while at the website click on "Amazon Book Store" which has an exhaustive bio and images of about half of my books.

menwithwingspress.com

Frank

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 pm

Leonard Maltin gives ASHEVILLE MOVIES a decided thumbs-up on his blog today:

http://leonardmaltin.com/new-and-notabl ... june-2017/

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Frank Thompson

Postby Frank Thompson » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:36 am

Thanks for sharing Leonard's review, Richard. I'll be so bold as to post a link to Thomas Gladysz's review from the Louise Brooks Society site. Thomas read the book carefully and thoroughly -- and he still liked it.

http://louisebrookssociety.blogspot.com ... ume-1.html