APRIL FOOL (1920) reel two with Lloyd Hamilton

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Ed Watz
Associate

Re: APRIL FOOL (1920) reel two with Lloyd Hamilton

Postby Ed Watz » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:35 am

For whatever it's worth, Jules White told me that Stan Laurel's brother Teddy worked for Jack White at Educational as a handyman. "He was broke, English, and we let him sleep at the studio." I don't know when Teddy came to America, and Jules' memory might've been playing a trick on him, but there might be a connection to Stan here, through Teddy.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:40 am

Ed Watz wrote:For whatever it's worth, Jules White told me that Stan Laurel's brother Teddy worked for Jack White at Educational as a handyman. "He was broke, English, and we let him sleep at the studio." I don't know when Teddy came to America, and Jules' memory might've been playing a trick on him, but there might be a connection to Stan here, through Teddy.

Funny you should mention that, that had crossed my mind as well, but has anyone ever seen a photo of Teddy?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:52 am

Here's another Laurel mustache shot for no reason whatsoever...

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:49 am

Teddy is the butler in THE LUCKY DOG and THE EGG. He is also a soldier in MIXED NUTS.

I am convinced Stan plays his own grandmother in MUD AND SAND

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:53 am

Tommie Hicks wrote:Teddy is the butler in THE LUCKY DOG and THE EGG. He is also a soldier in MIXED NUTS.

I am convinced Stan plays his own grandmother in MUD AND SAND

Is he that first soldier in MIXED NUTS who is trying to get Stan to come with him in the first few minutes? Because that is who I've also seen listed as Owen Evans (though I think Evans also plays one of the Doctors).

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:25 pm

After looking at these grabs I don't think Teddy is the soldier in MIXED NUTS anymore but he sure resembles the gob in APRIL FOOL.

IIRC Teddy died of shock from a tooth extraction around 1938.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks for putting these frame grabs up Tommie, so I don"t have too (I was in the midst of working on it). These are the two parts attributed to Owen Evans, which makes more sense, especially if this is actually NUTS IN MAY footage from 1917, when Evans was at his busiest.

And once again, the chin is too long and narrow, and I think he is too tall to be the guy in APRIL FOOL. The Sailor's chin (and the rest of him) looks more like Stan Laurel to me but again, how will we ever know for sure?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:54 pm

WOW! Based on what you guys started, looks like Ed nailed it.

There's a brief mention of April Fool in the Nov. 27, 1920 issue of Camera!, page 17:

Ted Laurel, the little English comedian, who played a character part in "Ham" Hamilton’s comedy, April Fool, has accepted a comedy role with his brother, Stanley Laurel, English music hall comedian, who will shortly be featured in two-reel comedies.

Two weeks later there's also a blurb about Stan in the Dec 11th issue of Camera!, page 6:

Stanley Laurel, English music hall comedian, who has just finished a tour of the Keith and Orpheum circuits in his own vaudeville headline act, has been placed under contract by the Special Pictures Corporation. After playing in an all-star Reggie Morris Comiclassic with Neely Edwards, Charlotte Merriam, and Dave Morris, he is to be given his own company and featured in his own releases.

SteveR

Ian Elliot
Associate

Postby Ian Elliot » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Well this is redundant now after Steve's conclusive find...but since I went to the effort I'll post grabs of THE EGG and APRIL FOOL, which had me convinced this was Ted Jefferson...

Ted Jefferson.tiff
Ted Jefferson.tiff (226.91 KiB) Viewed 16179 times

And came across an interesting item with photo about Ted's marriage in 1932:
http://www.reminisce.com/1930s/belly-la ... an-laurel/

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:37 am

Bingo! Mystery solved. Excellent job everybody.

So, one last question, is that Teddy Laurel playing the Soldier in MIXED NUTS or Owen Evans?

And, did Stan Laurel actually appear in a Special Pictures comedy? Sam Gill and I went through his complete set of Special Pictures lobby cards earlier this year and we didn't see him in one.

RICHARD M ROBERTS