SMILEAGE GUARANTEED, Hal Roach Book Coming Soon

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Joe Migliore
Cugine

Re: Some Interesting News

Postby Joe Migliore » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:
Come to think of it though, there are nice cheesecake or generally revealing shots of Thelma Todd, Dorothy Granger, Martha Sleeper, Fay Wray, Dorothy Coburn (though I forgot to include those "special postcard" shots I have of her, damn), Anita Garvin, Vivan Oakland, Janet Gaynor,and a few other Hal Roach cuties as well. Plenty to balance out the traumatic images of Max and Spec.

One blurry still of Katherine Grant should be enough to balance the appearance of maximum Max.

Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm sure we're talking about Pultizer Prize material! Lookin' forward to reading it, Richard!

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:15 am

Jim Kerkhoff wrote:I'm sure we're talking about Pultizer Prize material! Lookin' forward to reading it, Richard!

"Pultizer Prize" perhaps, Pulitzer Prize in doubt.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

David B Pearson
Capo

Postby David B Pearson » Thu May 09, 2013 9:20 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:
Michael J Hayde wrote:
Richard M Roberts wrote:The scary thing is, I wasn't actually kidding in the part about finding more naked pictures of Max Davidson, and yeah, there's a still of O'Donnell in step-ins---------The Horror! The Horror!

RICHARD M ROBERTS (This isn't really the way I planned on selling copies of the Book)

For pity's sake, please tell us there's also more outtake stills from SLIGHTLY STATIC for balance!

Michael

Yeah, but they're just of Patsy Kelly!

Come to think of it though, there are nice cheesecake or generally revealing shots of Thelma Todd, Dorothy Granger, Martha Sleeper, Fay Wray, Dorothy Coburn (though I forgot to include those "special postcard" shots I have of her, damn), Anita Garvin, Vivan Oakland, Janet Gaynor,and a few other Hal Roach cuties as well. Plenty to balance out the traumatic images of Max and Spec.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Damn, no Viola Richard!

DBP

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun May 12, 2013 5:06 am

Okay Gang, here’s the latest scoop on the book.

I will indeed be selling and signing copies of SMILEAGE GUARANTEED, PAST HUMOR, PRESENT LAUGHTER, THE COMEDY FILM INDUSTRY 1910-1945, VOLUME ONE: HAL ROACH at Cinevent in Columbus, Ohio, Memorial Day Weekend, May 24th-27th, as well as bringing books to the MOSTLY LOST Symposium at the LOC Packard Campus in Culpeper, Va. June 6-8.

And yes, I guess I’ll bring a few to Slapsticon, lord knows why…..

Grapevine Video is indeed going to be the main mail order distributor of the book, and they should have it available on their website sometime in the next few weeks. It will be offered up on Amazon sometime after that.

Softcover, 522 pages. 8.5 x 11 inches in size. Approximately 500 photos. Suggested Retail price: $60.00

BTW, at Cinevent, John McElwee of Greenbriar Picture Shows will also be selling and signing his book, SHOWMEN, SELL IT HOT!, and I heartily recommend you all going out and buying a copy of this as well. His website is terrific and this book is a nice distillation of what he has been so beautifully dishing out there for years now. But more than a collection of articles, it weaves a nice story of the Motion Picture Business from Silents to Seventies, told from the Exhibitors point of view. It’s a great read and a terrific education.

It’s coming out from Goodknight Books and here’s the link to buy it from them when it comes out if Cinevent is not an option:

http://www.goodknightbooks.com/Showmen.html

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Sun May 12, 2013 4:40 pm

Great news!

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat May 18, 2013 2:56 am

Louie Despres wrote:Great news!

Glad you think so.

Copies began shipping out from the printer to various ports of call today. The books may be in Columbus before I am.

RICHARD M ROBERTS