siblings

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
David Denton
Capo

siblings

Postby David Denton » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:51 pm

I was browsing 'Who was who on Screen' and noticed Stan Laurel's brother (Ted Jefferson) supposedly made films. Harry Keaton made films (was he actually Buster's brother? I don't recall). Anyone know if they were any good? Leading roles or support?
Was Wheeler Dryden anything but support?
It seems there were quite a few brother (or brother/sister) comics

Thanks,
David

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: siblings

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:22 am

David Denton wrote:I was browsing 'Who was who on Screen' and noticed Stan Laurel's brother (Ted Jefferson) supposedly made films. Harry Keaton made films (was he actually Buster's brother? I don't recall). Anyone know if they were any good? Leading roles or support?
Was Wheeler Dryden anything but support?
It seems there were quite a few brother (or brother/sister) comics

Thanks,
David

Harry "JIngles" Keaton apparently did have a short-lived independent series in the 1920's, but I have never seen any stills or footage from them, and of course he can be seen in the pie fight during Our Gang's SHIVERING SHAKESPHERE(1930), and with Buster in the Educational short LOVE NEST ON WHEELS.One must be careful not to confuse Jingles with the OTHER Harry Keaton, who was a busy supporting actor in the 1930's in Columbia shorts and elsewhere and looks nothing like Buster's Brother.

I have films featuring both John Bunny's Brother and Son, both named George Bunny. In films. Brother George looks scarily like Brother John, and does support in a number of independent silent films, and had his own series of shorts in the late teens. Son George looks nothing like his Dad, lucky guy, and had his own independent series in the mid 20's. I have a print of one called WHY WORRY, which also features Billy Franey and Gale Henry.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:00 am

If I'm not mistaken Laurel's brother Ted plays a butler in Stan's solo comedy "The Egg".

Jim K

Gregg Rickman
Associate

Postby Gregg Rickman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:26 am

Greetings all. I usually content myself with browsing this excellent site, but as it happens I've compiled a 6900 word essay on Harry Keaton (or rather the TWO Harry Keatons), and will happily email it to any interested party. (The commercial audience for such a piece is, amazingly, vanishingly small.) I've compiled it using various archival sources but I'm sure there are many here who could correct the piece on many details, small and large. Comments and corrections would be welcome! PM me, or email me directly at gregg.rickman00@gmail.com