Slapsticon 2011 Cancelled

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Slapsticon 2011 Cancelled

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue May 24, 2011 1:41 am

It is with profound regret that we are announcing the cancellation of Slapsticon 2011 and Slapsticon’s severing of relations with the Artisphere, the new group that replaced the old Arlington County Cultural Affairs this year that had presented the Slapsticon at the Rosslyn Spectrum Theater since 2003.
Unfortunately, disagreements over last-minute contract negotiations forced no further option, and we apologize to all for this inconvenience. We assure you this decision was not made lightly or arbitrarily. Those who have sent in registrations will have their checks returned or payments refunded and if you have questions about registration refunds you can send an email to mgaffen@arlingtonva.us or call Maggie Gaffen at 703-228-1841.
We are currently examining other options and offers to move this event, and we’ll let you all know these plans when we’ve made decisions regarding this. We want to thank the fine folk at Arlington County Cultural Affairs for their support of Slapsticon over the last eight years. It is now time to move on.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Louie Despres
Associate

Re: Slapsticon 2011 Cancelled

Postby Louie Despres » Tue May 24, 2011 7:29 am

Wow! Hopefully another place can be secured soon.

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Tue May 24, 2011 8:57 am

This is very depressing news. I can't convey just how much I was looking forward to attending again this year, and I'm sure that sentiment is shared by many others. I'm hopeful that you'll be able to come up with another venue for future events, and thank you all for the hard work and wonderful gatherings you've put on in the past.

Eric Cohen
Associate

Postby Eric Cohen » Tue May 24, 2011 2:02 pm

DRAT!

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Tue May 24, 2011 3:42 pm

The only reason that I hadn't registered yet was the fact that I wasn't sure about the deal with the 2 hotels, and I have had too much going on here in PA to investigate it.
I had it my list to e-mail one of the Godfathers today to find out if one or the other was better for the festival going forward.

My husband even just secured his vacation time, and took off so that I had kid coverage.
I thanked him and said that I could put up with al the crap all year knowing I had Slapsticon comming in July!

Is there any chance of getting a new venue in time for the 2011 run? I am praying......................

Agnes McFadden
Agnes McFadden