And HELLO???

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Ian Elliot
Associate

Re: And HELLO???

Postby Ian Elliot » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:26 pm

By my own machinations a copy was under the tree for me, and I've been gorging away on it this evening. Copious, thorough, authoritative, fascinating. Thank you!

Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:08 pm

I was able to snag a copy of the new Sennett book and all I have to say is ... WOW!!!! Brent, you did a fabulous job of documenting this film comedy pioneer. Thanks for all of the countless hours you devoted to researching and writing this definitive book. I can't wait to read it cover to cover, which at 636 pages of two-column type in a small, single-spaced font is going to take some doing! And I'll enjoy every minute of it! The many rare photos are an added treat! Thank you again, Brent!

Jim K

Nicole Arciola
Cugine

Postby Nicole Arciola » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:54 am

My god, this book is PHENOMENAL! The huge number of pictures alone are worth the purchase price.

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:21 am

Got mine in yesterday and today it's going back to B&N today. It was destroyed by the USPS!

Joan Myers
Associate

Postby Joan Myers » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:31 pm

Louie Despres wrote:Got mine in yesterday and today it's going back to B&N today. It was destroyed by the USPS!

Wow, they must have really worked at it. The book is HUGE.

Joan

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:23 am

Yes, it came in with one side of the box missing and the pages all soiled.

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Louie, I'm sorry to hear about your delivery from B&N -- hopefully they make things right quickly (including postage-wise).

Brent

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Brent Walker wrote:Louie, I'm sorry to hear about your delivery from B&N -- hopefully they make things right quickly (including postage-wise).

Brent

I didn't even open the front cover :(

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:29 am

Fortunately, my copy arrived in one piece.

This is an absolutely incredible book, Brent. The detailed filmography renders all previous efforts by others obsolete. The impressive number of accompanying photos will serve as an indispensable aid to so many of us when attempting to place names to faces when we see them, both in Sennett’s films and those of his competitors; I don’t ever recall seeing a photo of Vin Moore before! The biographical section almost serves as an encyclopedia of silent film comedy in general, albeit with the obvious exceptions. And the bulk of the book itself contains so much new and indispensable information, going a long way to fill in the gaps and correct the errors and misinformation that has made its way into print over the previous few decades. Pricey? Sure. But well worth skipping a few haircuts for!

Tom

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Thanks Tom! I wish I'd been able to include a photograph of each person in the bio next to their photo, but most of the people in the bios also appear elsewhere (and the photos can be found in the index). I have had serious thoughts about a who's who type of project covering the whole of silent comedy which would include photos for each person (preferably both a portrait shot and a character shot), perhaps grouped by type, which would make it easier to recognize the players (along the lines of some past books that have been done about character actors of the 1930's and 1940's).

Thomas Reeder wrote:Fortunately, my copy arrived in one piece.

This is an absolutely incredible book, Brent. The detailed filmography renders all previous efforts by others obsolete. The impressive number of accompanying photos will serve as an indispensable aid to so many of us when attempting to place names to faces when we see them, both in Sennett’s films and those of his competitors; I don’t ever recall seeing a photo of Vin Moore before! The biographical section almost serves as an encyclopedia of silent film comedy in general, albeit with the obvious exceptions. And the bulk of the book itself contains so much new and indispensable information, going a long way to fill in the gaps and correct the errors and misinformation that has made its way into print over the previous few decades. Pricey? Sure. But well worth skipping a few haircuts for!

Tom