Vaudeville resources?

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Re: Vaudeville resources?

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Before "Billboard" magazine began reporting on the recording industry, it was a trade publication for the vaudeville circuits. About 40 years ago when I was in college (damn am I that old now?) I did research in "Billboard's" vaults, which for some reason were located in my hometown of Cincinnati. I tracked Stan Laurel's vaudeville tours with the Keystone Trio, Stan Jefferson Trio, and Stan and Mae Laurel from the teens into the the '20s. The results are in John McCabe's "Comedy World of Stan Laurel." It was fascinating running across articles on the Three Keatons, Marx Brothers, etc. during their vaudeville years. I have no idea if the "Billboard" library is still housed there. I'd truly enjoy browsing through those very rare publications again.

Jim K

Michael J Hayde
Associate

Postby Michael J Hayde » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:55 pm

Jim Kerkhoff wrote:It was fascinating running across articles on the Three Keatons, Marx Brothers, etc. during their vaudeville years. I have no idea if the "Billboard" library is still housed there. I'd truly enjoy browsing through those very rare publications again.

Jim K

BILLBOARD (called "The Billboard" in the old days) is available on self-service microfilm at the NY Library of the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center.

Michael

Andrew Sholl
Associate

Postby Andrew Sholl » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:31 am

Two utterly brilliant vaudeville resources:

1. Tom Tryniski's free - yes, free! - newspaper archive: http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html. When looking for vaudeville-related topics make sure that at least one of your search terms is "clipper" in order to access pages from the 1853-1923 bible of the amusement biz, the NY Clipper.

2. Frank Cullen's exhaustive two volume study of vaudeville performers, "Vaudeville Old & New". It ain't cheap but you may be able to access it via an inter-library loan.
Last edited by Andrew Sholl on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:04 pm

Many thanks for posting this link, Andrew! I was able to fill some gaps in my Arbuckle research, turned up a few key points which have eluded me for years!

Man, how I love this group.

-- Paul E. Gierucki

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:50 pm

I will agree with Paul on this one. THANKS for the link Andrew. I found MANY Vaudeville pieces I needed and a few quotes and other stuff from the early 30's that I have been missing!

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Wow, this free newspaper archive site is a treasure trove! I've been avoiding work all day doing search after search. Thanks so much for putting us on to this.

Andrew Sholl
Associate

Postby Andrew Sholl » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:35 am

Recently uploaded to the Internet Archive, some 1928 editions of Photoplay: http://www.archive.org/details/photoplay3334movi

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Back in the '70's when I was working in radio, BILLBOARD was the main chart mag for that station. I remember BILLBOARD had an anniversary issue that had reprints of various articles and and covers. One of the covers from 1901 had little Buster Keaton on the cover. I wish I had glommed that issue before I left.