Not OPRAH's Bookclub

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Gary Johnson
Cugine

Not OPRAH's Bookclub

Postby Gary Johnson » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:04 pm

I've recently confessed to Richard that I just don't read as many books as I once did. My whole life I was a voracious reader, and not just about film history. I had a broad range in a vain attempt to become a well-rounded person. It wasn't until my middle age spread appeared that I turned well-rounded.
But with the rise of social media I've found that I'm reading more online than holding an actual binded book in my paws. The latest book I've read has been Richard's small little tome. Next up is Mr. Massa's. I'm sure many of you are a little quicker on the draw than me at perusing books from our fellow members, so let's hear what you've found out there that is recent and interesting. Hopefully it is interesting. There is nothing worse than a non-interesting book, but that is what Simon Louvish is for.

I'll start out with mentioning James Curtis' SPENCER TRACY bio - a book that I have yet to finish. I began reading it last summer at the library but after getting through Spence's early years the rest of the library patrons discovered it's existence and it has been off the shelf ever since. I just saw it back this week so I will once again pick up where I left off. I suppose it would be quicker if I actually checked it out but I've sold my library card to a couple of illegals who are looking for work at the Library of Congress. I wish them well...

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Not OPRAH's Bookclub

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:44 am

Gary Johnson wrote:I've recently confessed to Richard that I just don't read as many books as I once did. My whole life I was a voracious reader, and not just about film history. I had a broad range in a vain attempt to become a well-rounded person. It wasn't until my middle age spread appeared that I turned well-rounded.
But with the rise of social media I've found that I'm reading more online than holding an actual binded book in my paws. The latest book I've read has been Richard's small little tome. Next up is Mr. Massa's. I'm sure many of you are a little quicker on the draw than me at perusing books from our fellow members, so let's hear what you've found out there that is recent and interesting. Hopefully it is interesting. There is nothing worse than a non-interesting book, but that is what Simon Louvish is for.

I'll start out with mentioning James Curtis' SPENCER TRACY bio - a book that I have yet to finish. I began reading it last summer at the library but after getting through Spence's early years the rest of the library patrons discovered it's existence and it has been off the shelf ever since. I just saw it back this week so I will once again pick up where I left off. I suppose it would be quicker if I actually checked it out but I've sold my library card to a couple of illegals who are looking for work at the Library of Congress. I wish them well...

I liked Jim Curtis's Tracy bio, and was surprised to hear some folk complaining that it was too long and that Tracy's life wasn't that interesting.Well, I can't say that Curtis made me like Tracy as a person any better, but it certainly explained the day-to-day demons that drove him. He always looked like it was a very hard and early ageing 67 years he went through.

RICHARD M ROBERTS (About to start the Bob and Ray bio, of which I've also heard complaints that they did not live particularly intresting lives. Good for them, performers who got up, went to work, stayed friends, raised families, lived long lives (one of which is still living a long life) and didn't have particularly destructive demons. My Christmas Blessing to you all, may your biographies bore the critics!)

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:
I've recently confessed to Richard that I just don't read as many books as I once did. My whole life I was a voracious reader, and not just about film history. I had a broad range in a vain attempt to become a well-rounded person. It wasn't until my middle age spread appeared that I turned well-rounded.

I too am eagerly awaiting Steve Massa's book, but to tide me over until Christmas I just read Ed Watz's book on Wheeler & Woolsey. I've never been a huge fan of the team, but admittedly I've missed some of their key features. It's very well written, and he did flawless job convincing me that I need to see more of their work, which I plan to do in the new year.

Wouldn't the opposite of Oprah's Book Club be Harpo's Book Club? (Of course it would be more likely for Groucho to have a book club, but Ohcuorg's Book Club has no ring to it.) If these books were featured in Oprah's book club, it would probably be a much better show.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:00 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:Gary Johnson wrote:

I too am eagerly awaiting Steve Massa's book, but to tide me over until Christmas I just read Ed Watz's book on Wheeler & Woolsey. I've never been a huge fan of the team, but admittedly I've missed some of their key features. It's very well written, and he did flawless job convincing me that I need to see more of their work, which I plan to do in the new year.

Yep, it is easy to not like Wheeler and Woolsey if you haven’t seen PEACH O’RENO, SO THIS IS AFRICA, HIPS HIPS HOORAY, and COCKEYED CAVALIERS. It is VERY easy to not like Wheeler and Woolsey if you’ve only seen HALF SHOT AT SUNRISE, HOOK, LINE AND SINKER, SILLY BILLIES, and MUMMYS BOYS.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:32 am

After riding high with DIPLOMANIACS and HIPS, HIPS, HOORAY!, their comedy really turned south following THE NITWITS.
It's almost as if RKO had lost interest in them due to that flash-in-the-pan dance team on the lot.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:37 am

Gary Johnson wrote:After riding high with DIPLOMANIACS and HIPS, HIPS, HOORAY!, their comedy really turned south following THE NITWITS.
It's almost as if RKO had lost interest in them due to that flash-in-the-pan dance team on the lot.

That was part of it, but the code was what killed Bert and Bob, and frankly, giving them George "Slow Poke" Stevens as a Director for KENTUCKY KERNELS and THE NITWITS (neither of these are favorites of mine either) didn't help them them much in their first two post-code efforts.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Spanky is the real reason to watch KENTUCKY KERNELS while THE NITWITS is rather deadly until the last reel when Stevens works in the climax from The Boyfriends' HIGH GEAR (31).
Thank god for that Roach connection. It served Stevens well during the time that he actually mixed comedy into his drama's (before the war). There is no greater pleasure for me than watching Cary Grant execute double takes throughout GUNGA DIN. I keep expecting LeRoy Shields' music to play during the various brawls and fights.

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:42 pm

Well, 2013 was a banner year for the book club: Between Richard's tome on Roach, Steve Massa's book on the forgotten comedians (which I am halfway through now, and cannot put down), and Steve Rydzewski's biography of Ben Turpin (that one's next), I can't remember a year when more new ground was covered. Even Michael J. Hayde's work on the Chaplin Mutuals throws light on an area where you wouldn't think there was anything left to see...but of course, there is plenty. Thanks be to all of the authors who saved so much from obscurity, and turned their findings into a cracking good read!