Agee's Lost Films of Laurel & Hardy Finally Released

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Rob Farr
Godfather

Agee's Lost Films of Laurel & Hardy Finally Released

Postby Rob Farr » Mon May 10, 2010 9:06 pm

Michael Agee's long-awaited The Lost Films of Laurel and Hardy: The Definitive Edition is finally to be released at a pre-order discount of $120 for just a couple of weeks. The damndest thing is Agee's autobiographical essay, which has to be the most wrenching, soul-baring confessional ever committed to what is essentially an advertisement. Add to this the weird misspelling of "Definative" on the cover art(!) and such statements as "Their First Mistake" being the last of L&H's two-reelers...well, I hardly know what to make of this.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Agee's Lost Films of Laurel & Hardy Finally Released

Postby Gary Johnson » Tue May 11, 2010 8:19 pm

Plus the fact that it looks like practically everything being offered on these discs have already been previously released.
I realize he has been battling health issues but it may had helped to release this set a decade earlier.

Gary J.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Thu May 13, 2010 12:23 am

By the way......any comments about Agee's statement that he probably knows the whereabouts of a copy of "Hat's Off" but he's too sick to travel there?

Gary J.

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Thu May 13, 2010 6:27 pm

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention that HATS OFF comment. I do not know the man (save for an extraordinarily brief encounter in 1990) I know nothing about him, so I will not speculate. I WILL say that he is absolutely welcome to call, write, email, visit, or carrier pigeon any member of the Silent Comedy Mafia and let us know where he believes the print might be. We will gladly do whatever is necessary to retrieve it. He need only get in touch. Anytime. Any time at all. Day or night. 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. We will be here. Waiting.

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Fri May 14, 2010 9:05 am

It's in the basement of the Alamo.
Rob Farr

Jeffrey Nelson
Associate

Postby Jeffrey Nelson » Tue May 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:Plus the fact that it looks like practically everything being offered on these discs have already been previously released.
I realize he has been battling health issues but it may had helped to release this set a decade earlier.

Gary J.

I thought the point of this set was that the films would be in far superior condition to any previously released versions, as they would be remastered from the best surviving original elements. If so, that's more than reason enough for its existence. The silents on the import Brit set aren't in the greatest shape.

And, with all this poor guy has been through, I'm amazed he's still alive, let alone able to follow through with this DVD release.

Interesting bit about the possible existence of HATS OFF...I hope it's true. Perhaps there's a complete print of BATTLE OF THE CENTURY on the same shelf.

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:35 pm

This information was posted back in May -- did anyone here order a set? Has there been any further comment from the Agee camp regarding this release?

Jeffrey Nelson
Associate

Postby Jeffrey Nelson » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:49 pm

Yeah, what Paul said.

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:13 am

Yeah, I feel like I am one of the suckers who got rooked as I bought one and other than an email with the confirmation that I paid and that it would take 6-8 weeks to receive my copy, my copy I have heard nothing. I even emailed the guy who sent me the confirmation on Monday and no word yet.

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Yeah, I've be waiting for another su...uh, customer...to actually get a set in-hand before sending in my hard-earned dough.
Rob Farr