Laurel & Hardy Definitive Restorations on Sale at DDD

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Rob Farr
Godfather

Laurel & Hardy Definitive Restorations on Sale at DDD

Postby Rob Farr » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:21 pm

DeepDiscountDVD has the new UCLA restorations of choice Laurel & Hardy talkies on Blu-Ray on sale for $44.99. They had a promotion for $5 off with discount code THRESHER, but if that has expired, you can still get 10% off on two or more items with the discount code BULLSHARK. In other words, 50% off retail. Even if you have more versions of Laurel & Hardy talkies than you can count, it's worth it for the copious Randy Skretvedt bonus material. Not to mention the almost complete Battle of the Century. https://www.deepdiscount.com/laurel-and ... 0137358282
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Rob Farr
Godfather

Re: Laurel & Hardy Definitive Restorations on Sale at DDD

Postby Rob Farr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:45 pm

Robert A. Harris of Home Theater Forum gives this set a very qualified recommendation. Harris says these were DNR'ed to within an inch of their lives, turning them into standard def videos. But I bought it for Randy's bonus material and Battle of the Century, so count me a satisfied customer. I suggest reading the comments section for a very lively exchange between Harris, Randy Skretvedt and others about the merits and demerits of the set. https://www.hometheaterforum.com/commun ... ay.367630/
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Chris Seguin

Re: Laurel & Hardy Definitive Restorations on Sale at DDD

Postby Chris Seguin » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:48 am

Robert A. Harris is not incorrect, in my estimation. I've decided to look at this set as a delivery mechanism for the really outstanding bonus material, although a few of films I've seen (BERTH MARKS, HOG WILD) seem to have escaped the overzealous DNR'er.
Oddly, the films that aren't "the main attraction" (that is, the L&H theatrical talkies) come across best -- BATTLE OF THE CENTURY, THAT'S THAT and TREE IN THE TEST TUBE, despite the always jarring appearance of freeze frame titles on the latter.