Slapsticon 2010 Titles

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Slapsticon 2010 Titles

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Hey Gang,

Here's a Silent Comedy Mafia exclusive (and for now it better stay that way), the first listing of titles we're going to be showing at Slapsticon 2010. There will be plenty more, but this will get your whistles whetted for next July. This hasn't even gone up on the website yet, so it's hot off the presses.

Here are the titles:

THICK AND THIN (1929) – Snub Pollard, Marvin Loback
TAKING THE COUNT (1929) – Ben Turpin
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO RARITIES SHOW hosted by Paul Gierucki and featuring
AFRICA SCREAMS (1949) shown in an original 35mm print.
TOO MANY KISSES (1925) – Richard Dix and Harpo Marx
THE COVERED SCHOONER (1923) – Monty Banks
MISS STICKIE-MOUFIE-KISS (1914) – Mr and Mrs Sidney Drew
CRUEL AND UNUSUAL (1915) Mishaps of Musty Suffer
POOR POLICY (1914) Billie Ritchie, Henry Bergman
THE FUEDISTS (1913) All-Star Vitagraph starring John Bunny, Sidney Drew, and Wally Van.
LIZZYS DIZZY CAREER (1915) – Victoria Forde, Eddie Lyons
GOODNIGHT NURSE (1916) Neal Burns
HAM AT THE GARBAGE GENTLEMENS BALL (1915) – Ham and Bud
MEDIUM WANTED AS SON-IN-LAW (1908) Pathe’ Comedy
THE SMILE WINS (1928) – Our Gang
LADIES PETS (1921) – Snooky the Chimp
DAD’S BOY (1923) – Buddy Messinger
THE KNOCKOUT (1923) – Dippy-Do-Dads
BUSTERS PICNIC (1927) – Buster Brown
SHOT IN THE EXITEMENT (1914) – Alice Howell, Al St. John
DON’T WEAKEN 91920) – Ford Sterling, Charlie Murray
THE FUNNYMOONERS (1925) - Ralph Graves
ICE COLD COCOS (1926) – Billy Bevan, Andy Clyde
THE BLUFFER (1930) - Andy Clyde in Sennettcolor!
COURTIN’ TROUBLE (1932) Charlie Murray
ROB STONE RARITIES! More goodies excavated from the Library of Congress vaults.
THE ROUND-UP (1920) - Roscoe Arbuckle
HORSE SHY (1928) – Edward Everett Horton
WIDE OPEN (1930) – Edward Everett Horton
DAVE SNYDERS UNPTEENTH ANNUAL CARTOON SHOW!
SHOOT STRAIGHT (1923) – Paul Parrott
PARDON ME (1921) – Snub Pollard
PECULIAR PATIENTS PRANKS (1915) – Harold Lloyd as Lonesome Luke
CUCKOO LOVE (1927) – Glenn Tryon
FALLEN ARCHES (1933) – Charley Chase
TAXI BARONS (1933) – Taxi Boys
GENTS OF LEISURE (1931) – Chester Conklin, Vernon Dent
FIREPROOF (1929) – Lupino Lane
OLD SAWBONES (1935)- Andy Clyde
DANGEROUS YOUTH (1930) – Daphne Pollard
IN A PIG’S EYE (1934) – Clark and McCullough
I DON’T REMEMBER (1935) - Harry Langdon
HONEYMOON TRIO (1932) – Al St. John Directed by William Goodrich
TEACHERS PEST (1939) – Charley Chase
LUCK (1923) – Johnny Hines
BROKEN CHINA (1927) - Bobby Vernon
A BRINY BOOB (1926) – Billy Dooley
PAPAS BOY (1928) – Lloyd Hamilton
DRAMA DELUXE (1927) – Lupino Lane
FLUTTERING HEARTS (1927) – Charley Chase, Oliver Hardy

As always program schedule subject to change without further notice, and there will be a lots more where they came from. Book your hotel rooms when you can. The Holiday Inn has been known to sell out.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Re: Slapsticon 2010 Titles

Postby Thomas Reeder » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:06 pm

Looks like a great lineup, Richard. Besides AFRICA SCREAMS, TOO MANY KISSES, and WIDE OPEN, are there any other "features" buried in this list (such as LUCK)? Be sure to let us know when this is made "official" at the Slapsticon site, and thanks for the advance notice.

Tom R

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:03 pm

Thomas Reeder wrote:Looks like a great lineup, Richard. Besides AFRICA SCREAMS, TOO MANY KISSES, and WIDE OPEN, are there any other "features" buried in this list (such as LUCK)? Be sure to let us know when this is made "official" at the Slapsticon site, and thanks for the advance notice.

Tom R

As I said, this is not the complete list, there will be more to come.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:43 pm

As always, Richard, it looks to be a great line-up! Can't wait to walk through the doors of the Spectrum Theatre to not only enjoy these rare films, but to hook up with my vintage comedy cohorts from around the world! Thanks for pulling this together yet again!

Jim K

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:11 am

Having just contacted the Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge, they tell me that the special Slapsticon room rate of $99 per is only valid for Thursday through Saturday nights, and that any of us poor slobs who want to arrive on Wednesday are going to have to pay $189 for that first night. Assuming this info is correct, keep this in mind when you go to schedule a room.

Tom R

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:46 pm

Thomas Reeder wrote:Having just contacted the Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge, they tell me that the special Slapsticon room rate of $99 per is only valid for Thursday through Saturday nights, and that any of us poor slobs who want to arrive on Wednesday are going to have to pay $189 for that first night. Assuming this info is correct, keep this in mind when you go to schedule a room.

Tom R

Rob Farr is supposed to be working on that (and this is a useful reminder to him if he hasn't). We're trying to get the Hotel to give us Wednesday and Sunday nights as well. If this doesn't happen , the Days Inn that I think is listed on the website is a cheap alternative to stay extra days (and it's not bad, we've stayed there a time or two) , and is just a bustop or two away from the Rosslyn Spectrum area.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:03 pm

Thanks, Richard - good to know that there's a decent (and affordable) alternative. I'll hold off booking a room until Rob's success - or lack thereof - is posted.

Tom R

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:29 pm

I have requested a $99 rate for the week of Monday July 12 through Sunday July 18. The HI's group sales staff changes with alarming rapidity, and the person I was dealing with a just few weeks ago is no longer there. I've put in a new request to the sales manager and am awaiting a response. There is a hotel just a 10-minute walk from the Spectrum who has expressed interest in working with us so if the HI is not able to accomodate us I will post the name of that other hotel here. Of course, if you use a hotel search engine like Expedia, you might find a better deal than the one I was able to negotiate. Let me know if you do!
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:12 pm

Hopefully you can get at least Wednesday night and Sunday night included.

It would be hard to stay for the dinner and the Sunday late-night chat session if I then had to drive for 3 hours.

Agnes
Agnes McFadden

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:16 pm

Since Rob Farr hasn't posted it, I'm letting all you folk know that the Holiday Inn had agreed to give us the Slapsticon rate for Sunday night, and they're looking into Wednesday. I recommend that if you are planning on coming, book reservations ASAP. If they open up Wednesday, you can always add it, but they will only expand the number of rooms blocked for us if they sell out the ones they have allready reserved for Slapsticon. So, in one of those Catch-22 situations, if they don't expand the number of rooms they've blocked for us early enough, they may not have spare rooms to add to our block later on. So, if you're definitely coming, reserve your hotel room soon.

Also, the website has been updated, with the current film program and registration information:

http://www.slapsticon.org

Again, hope to see you there, And we'll also be announcing the program for the MidWinter Comedy Festival at the Niles Film Museum soon. Stay Tuned!

RICHARD M ROBERTS