The Death of Blu Ray?

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Gary Johnson
Cugine

The Death of Blu Ray?

Postby Gary Johnson » Sun May 11, 2014 1:38 pm

Over at Eric G's FB page he posted an article about Sony being frustrated over the downward slide of sales of Blu Ray. Sony helped develop the format and had great expectations over it's storage capacity and hi-def qualities to bring them large earnings. That hasn't panned out as it seems they misjudged this new generation's lack of need over owning a physical copy of their favorite media item. They are perfectly happy with downloading and streaming.

I didn't bother to re-post Eric's article since a quick Google search brings up reams of similar articles that are on the Web.
I find this interesting after our recent debate here over the pros and cons of Blu Ray.

Pasquale Ventura

Re: The Death of Blu Ray?

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Sun May 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Blu-Ray never impressed me. What is obvious, with media/home video companies ramming bluray's down our throats we have more and more old movies/silent comedies on DVD-R's released than ever before. After the success of Warner Home Videos DVD-R on demand service, Fox, Universal and others have joined in. Especially with their 20's, 30's 40's movies.

Seems like there's a whole more available on DVD-R than bluray. Very confusing indeed. The big studios push for their precious HD bluray format seems to have landed a big thud of no profits. Or as much as they want. Yeah, even when I am at a store that sells DVDs, once in a while I've over heard younger shoppers, "Why bother buying a DVD when you can watch it on YouTube, download or stream it online".

This makes it even more the frustrating with Flicker Alley's decision releasing the Mack Sennett Collection in bluray format only. After all, there's about five thousand silent comedy fans around the world who buys this stuff anyway.

Sony is also laying off many employees as we read this. Dedicated employees are expendable when the multi-billion dollar corporations don't get the profits they expect.

Is bluray dying out? Have no idea. Wouldn't surprise me. Even after some of us collectors purchase one just to watch one set, it may be all over.

Hummfff!

Pasquale (who needs more coffee) *sip* "ahhhh, I feel better know.