Buster Keaton in The Faye Emerson Show, Nov 18, 1950

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Buster Keaton in The Faye Emerson Show, Nov 18, 1950

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed May 10, 2023 4:53 am

That's a charming Buster appearance, you know he came in and put together that silent movie bit just by looking at the set and figuring out a few quick gags he could pull with what was around. It reminded me of one of Betty White's reminisces about working with Buster on one of her early live morning shows in Los Angeles where Buster would frequently come in and appear and would "help" Betty with her live commercial spiels by goofing around with whatever product they were pitching that day, she said he would improvise the silliest things and frequently crack her up on live television. He's doing that to Faye Emerson too.

Buster also sounds in good voice there too, his baritone is still smooth rather than tobacco-crackly. Thanks for posting this Uli.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Thu May 11, 2023 8:04 am

I was told that Eureka! is planning to finally release THREE AGES on Blu-Ray later this year and was looking into including Buster's appearance here on The Faye Emerson Show, as well as several other early TV programs (his two appearances with Ed Wynn, the live episode of The Buster Keaton Show, possibly a Talk of The Town where Santa Claus visits Buster).

The only reason I know this is because Eureka! had contacted me about including my print of the filmed version of "The Gymnasium Story." They ultimately chose not to use it, which makes sense since the kinescope version is so much better.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Uli Ruedel
Capo

Postby Uli Ruedel » Thu May 11, 2023 9:19 am

IMHO those two versions wouldn't be mutually exclusive at all...

Uli

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Thu May 11, 2023 11:18 am

Uli Ruedel wrote:IMHO those two versions wouldn't be mutually exclusive at all...

Uli

Thanks, Uli. Regarding several of Cohen Media's earlier Keaton restorations, I wish someone else had been calling the shots -- yourself, for one!
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sat May 13, 2023 10:58 am

I'm making a disclaimer here. A couple of people contacted me offsite asking about the additional items on Eureka!'s THREE AGES Blu-ray. I do not know what has been finalized regarding extras, except that the above were under consideration in the Fall of 2022.

The one certainty is that they are not including the filmed "Gymnasium Story."

Or, to quote Dr. Finlayson regarding extras for inclusion on the THREE AGES disc: "ANYTHING can happen!"

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:05 pm

Ed Watz wrote:I'm making a disclaimer here. A couple of people contacted me offsite asking about the additional items on Eureka!'s THREE AGES Blu-ray. I do not know what has been finalized regarding extras, except that the above were under consideration in the Fall of 2022.

The one certainty is that they are not including the filmed "Gymnasium Story."

Or, to quote Dr. Finlayson regarding extras for inclusion on the THREE AGES disc: "ANYTHING can happen!"

And after all the fuss it seems that none of the extras considered for Cohen's THREE AGES Blu-Ray release are to be included after all.

To another point, the reported slowing of the frame rate on this new release to 70 minutes does concern me a bit. David Shepard previously slowed the frame rate on AGES for Kino to 63 minutes, for their premiere release back in 1995. Original film prints of THREE AGES run about 55 or 56 minutes. At least Shepard and Cohen didn't pull this stuff on SHERLOCK JR., NAVIGATOR, SEVEN CHANCES...

Cohen's trailer doesn't look bad so perhaps the 70-minute reportage is a typo? We'll see.

https://youtu.be/6M1w2v3ROhM