Stooges color snapshot PARDON MY CLUTCH

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Ed Watz
Associate

Stooges color snapshot PARDON MY CLUTCH

Postby Ed Watz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:34 am

Here's a candid color snapshot taken by director Edward Bernds on the Columbia Ranch in Burbank in 1947, during the making of PARDON MY CLUTCH:

PardonMyClutch 1947 snapshot.jpg
PardonMyClutch 1947 snapshot.jpg (227.02 KiB) Viewed 14128 times

A couple of years ago, my company (I've now retired) filmed the following tv spot at nearly the same location; we were told by the crew that we were using the "Blondie" house, and the house that the Stooges had used was next door - if they were correct, then you can see the PARDON MY CLUTCH house in the commercial -- if you don't blink:

"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard Finegan

Re: Stooges color snapshot PARDON MY CLUTCH

Postby Richard Finegan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:48 am

Cool picture! Thanks for posting it.
By the way, PARDON MY CLUTCH was filmed from Monday, May 19 through Wednesday, May 21, 1947.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:23 pm

It would had gotten finished earlier but the crew had to stop for lunch.
Slackers....

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:52 pm

What can we tell ya, Jules White wasn't directing that one...
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:16 pm

When did the shooting schedules shift down from 5 days to 3? Sometime during the war?

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:When did the shooting schedules shift down from 5 days to 3? Sometime during the war?

I have a copy of Jules White's production schedule for the west coast Columbia comedy shorts made from 1933 through 1946. Four days was the norm throughout that entire period, but as early as 1938 there's a number of films shot in just 3 days (A NAG IN THE BAG, PIE A LA MAID, MANY SAPPY RETURNS). Significantly, they're from the Charley Chase unit, since Chase liked to shoot just one take and generally rush production along (something Jules White could not be accused of doing).

Up until 1941 there were occasional shorts filmed in 5 or even 6 days, but the majority of films through the war years were done in 4 days.

Hopefully Rich can confirm when the shift from 4 to 3 days became commonplace at Columbia.