Curt Bois on Buster Keaton

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Uli Ruedel
Capo

Curt Bois on Buster Keaton

Postby Uli Ruedel » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:29 am

Curt Bois (WINGS OF DESIRE, and once known as "the German Harold Lloyd") on working with Keaton in THE LOVEABLE CHEAT (1949), translated from an East Eerman TV interview (1980) excerpted in the documentary CURT BOIS - CHARAKTERKOMIKER (2001):

“Whenever a funny episode was required, the director called Buster Keaton and said, now what can be done about it. I thought oh my God, now I'm even supposed to be funny in front of Buster Keaton, but it worked. It worked because of him, since he … when I had a scene of my own, not that you would sense the slightest jealousy, rather, he watched closely, how is Bois doing it, why is he dropping the cup that way rather than the normal way, or, I don't know, why doesn't he grab all the cookies right away. So he was enthusiastic, someone who listened, watched, observed.”

Uli

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Curt Bois on Buster Keaton

Postby Gary Johnson » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:27 pm

For some reason this late Forties Keaton appearance has escaped my constant vigil of viewing all things Keaton. I thought I'd seen all of his pre-LIMELIGHT film appearances, but I wasn't even aware of this film til now. I'll have have to pull out Jim Kline's "The Complete Films of Buster Keaton." It's somewhere in my sister's attic.

In the meantime, can anyone enlighten me of it's contents. Is it more of a cameo or does Keaton have a larger role?

I also like the interview description of Keaton being "enthusiastic, someone who listened, watched, observed.” We all know that he wasn't truly the stoic stone face in real life but its nice to hear corroboration over his continual love of creating comedy, even when he was no longer in charge.

Uli Ruedel
Capo

Re: Curt Bois on Buster Keaton

Postby Uli Ruedel » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:43 am

Both Bois and Buster play supporting parts (and do share the screen). It's been quite a while since I saw it, so here's the product description of the Reelclassic DVD release:

"THE LOVABLE CHEAT stars the always genial Charles Ruggles who turns in a delightful performance in the title role of this period parlor romp adapted from a Balzac play. Monsieur Mercadet (Ruggles), his wife (Iris Adrian) and daughter (Peggy Ann Garner) are living the good life in a lovely mansion staffed with servants and headed by a proficient butler (Alan Mowbray). But all is not well behind the scenes - as Mercadet has been left penniless by his business partner who may or may not return - and so he is forced to contend with creditors at every turn - a perpetual dance of which he has become quite masterful. Buster Keaton appears in a featured role as Ruggles chief creditor - whose new false teeth manage to put him at a constant disadvantage at inopportune moments."

And, Leonard Maltin as quoted on the TCM website: "Interesting more for cast and credits than actual achievement, this rather odd independent production (based on a Balzac play) centers on the comic antics of Ruggles battling against his creditors."

Uli