More ID Help, PLEASE! Free and Easy

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: More ID Help, PLEASE! Free and Easy

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:12 am

Oh, for god sake....it's not like it's a lost classic.

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:39 am

Gary Johnson wrote:Oh, for god sake....it's not like it's a lost classic.

Then why comment on something you know absolutely nothing about?

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:47 am

Read between the lines, Louie. I've seen all of Henie's mediocre musicals along with the 3rd rate comics that occasionally appear in them.

(See if you can guess who I am referring to...)

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:16 am

Gary Johnson wrote:Read between the lines, Louie. I've seen all of Henie's mediocre musicals along with the 3rd rate comics that occasionally appear in them.

(See if you can guess who I am referring to...)

Hey I take exception to that, Gary.

For third rate comics appearing in Fox musicals you've got to look to Mitchell and Durant.

El is merely second rate.

Best

Joe Moore (Yumpin. Yimmy I ban get off de board qvick before dat Louie beans me mit' a bowlin' ball)

Robert Arkus
Capo

Postby Robert Arkus » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:00 pm

Louie Despres wrote:
Robert Arkus wrote:
This also raises the question of how a performer in a major motion picture can do a musical number with the star and not have a credit anywhere?? I imagine there would be documentation in the MGM records ... ?

Well, El Brendel was in the 1938 film "Happy Landing" with Sonja Henie and never got a film credit:

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

I think his appearance in the Henie film would be classified as a "cameo," since he was already an established personality ... So to speak.

The fact that IMDB doesn't recognize that an uncredited actor's name doesn't appear on their web site, the same way some actors names are mistaken for others on their web site, is no surprise and makes me appreciate this forum all the more! Thanks for the help.

And that was cool; whoever placed a link to this thread on the TCM web site! Maybe a few more people will now know who Doris McMahon is! I didn't!

Richard Finegan

Spreadin' the word about Doris McMahon

Postby Richard Finegan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:15 am

Robert Arkus wrote:
And that was cool; whoever placed a link to this thread on the TCM web site! Maybe a few more people will now know who Doris McMahon is! I didn't!

That was me!
Here's the thread (posted Oct. 17):

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threa ... &tstart=15