POKER WIDOWS (1931) Arthur Stone, Patsy O'Leary

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

POKER WIDOWS (1931) Arthur Stone, Patsy O'Leary

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:41 pm

Another one of those Mack Sennett-Educational talkies that helped close the studio in 1933, we put it up for the completists.

Directed by Leslie Pearce, and featuring Arthur Stone, Patsy O'Leary, Wade Boteler, Gertrude Astor, Lincoln Stedman, George Gray,
George Byron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om4NZR_jDyk

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Re: POKER WIDOWS (1931) Arthur Stone, Patsy O'Leary

Postby Ed Watz » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:18 am

I like your straightforward analysis, Richard. If you made an audio commentary track for this bupke, I think you could turn it into something hilarious. But I wouldn't want to put you through that kind of torture - seeing this twice!
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

William Ferry
Cugine

Postby William Ferry » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:53 pm

Richard, that's one of the most concise, and certainly one of the funniest reviews I've ever read. It ranks right up there with the critic who described a 121-minute WWII epic as two hours too long.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:24 pm

It has always boggled my mind just how clueless Mack Sennett was about Talkies. Here was the man who had made dizzyingly fast paced silent comedies who didn't seem to have ever figured out sound comedies needed pacing as well, and he didn't even seem to figure it out after several years! Didn't he watch his own shorts? Even Educational figured it out in their own productions faster than Sennett.

And the dialogue in the Sennett talkies is always nothing near realistic, and the leaden "romantic" comedies like this one just go absolutely nowhere. In fairness, the Sennett talkies get slightly better by the time he moved distribution to Paramount, mainly due to suddenly having major talents like Bing Crosby and W. C. Fields making comedies for him, but it was too little, too late for the man who had ponied up the dough to make HYPNOTIZED with Moran and Mack.

Hal Roach may not have always had brilliant ideas, but he and his staff both in front and behind the camera figured out talkies quicker than anyone else who was producing short comedies during the transition. Let's not even bring up Al Christie.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:54 pm

Even Paramount figured out how to make a successful Mack Sennett talkie feature: Million Dollar Legs. And Sennett had nothing to do with it.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx