RIO RITA trailer with Bert Wheeler number cut from reissue

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Ed Watz
Associate

RIO RITA trailer with Bert Wheeler number cut from reissue

Postby Ed Watz » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:47 pm

Here's the original 4-minute trailer for RIO RITA (1929), which includes a glimpse of the Bert Wheeler-Dorothy Lee number "Are You There?" subsequently cut on Selznick's orders for the 1932 reissue:

https://youtu.be/u12tgFU6J04
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Rob Farr
Godfather

Re: RIO RITA trailer with Bert Wheeler number cut from reissue

Postby Rob Farr » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:17 pm

And it is interesting that Wheeler was billed as a single here.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Ed Watz
Associate

Re: RIO RITA trailer with Bert Wheeler number cut from reissue

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:06 am

Rob Farr wrote:And it is interesting that Wheeler was billed as a single here.

To add insult to injury, here's how some of the advertising for the film billed its main cast:
RR 1929 poster.jpeg
RR 1929 poster.jpeg (166.68 KiB) Viewed 7552 times

Apparently Bert's long association with Ziegfeld productions was considered a greater calling card than Bob's frequent appearances in a succession of Broadway plays since 1919, with Woolsey always appearing as comic relief. Bob Woolsey was a fixture in New York City but Wheeler was on the road between Ziegfeld engagements where he was a big draw in vaudeville. Bert was especially popular in Los Angeles where Harold Lloyd wanted to sign him up for his Hollywood Productions company, starring in silent two-reelers, probably similar to the shorts with Edward Everett Horton's. Ziegfeld enjoined Bert from participating in movies so nothing came of Lloyd's offer apart from a screen test (and who knows, it might exist somewhere).
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)