CHARLEY CHASE AT HAL ROACH THE TALKIES: VOLUME FOUR 1929 now available

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Ed Watz
Associate

Re: CHARLEY CHASE AT HAL ROACH THE TALKIES: VOLUME FOUR 1929 now available

Postby Ed Watz » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:00 am

Charley arrived.jpeg
Charley arrived.jpeg (68.72 KiB) Viewed 10707 times

Yesterday afternoon I was doing Garden Gnome Cleanup for the Fall season when our friendly international delivery man brought me 2 packages containing Volume Four of The Charley Chase Talkies, 1929. This wasn't supposed to arrive until October 20th!

As soon as I finished my chores I sat down for two full hours of delightful comedy, all of it fresh and new. I cannot recommend this set highly enough. Thank you Richard, we wouldn't be seeing any of these without your determination to bring them out of hiding and sharing them with everyone and anyone. Tonight I'll be watching them again - with your commentary. I already know that I'm going to learn quite a few things, and also might wake the neighbors as I'm laughing out loud at your droll and witty observations.

In fact - I'm so taken with this amazing and precious DVD that I dashed off a little video about it, in sincere appreciation.
Here it is:
https://youtu.be/ff52AsvsId4
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:40 am

I submitted my review to Amazon, but with their policy of picking and choosing what they will allow on their page, I am including it here. Needless to say, I gave it 5 *****

"Charley Chase fans have been in clover for the past few years with Sprocket Vault's three-volume release of Chase's shorts covering 1930-36. This one includes all the 1929 talkies which have been unseen since... 1930? Some of Chase's later comedies were syndicated in early TV packages and later occasionally programmed on Turner Classic Movies, but the 1929 shorts proved elusive until now. They show that, like Laurel & Hardy, Charley was in command of the sound medium from the very beginning. These delightful 2-reelers don't have a clinker among them. My personal favorite is Snappy Sneezer with the highlights being Charley's inability to control his sneezes on a crowded trolley and his interactions with a mischievous ass. Richard M. Roberts' commentaries are invaluable and entertaining. Unlike many commentators he is both unscripted and opinionated. Sprocket Vault's decision to include two films that are missing their soundtracks, using musical accompaniment and subtitles, allows us to see films that otherwise would forever be locked in the archives. For Hal Roach and Charley Chase fans, this one is a must-buy."
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Dennis Campa
Cugine

Postby Dennis Campa » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:56 pm

Like Rob, I also posted an Amazon review (and mine also hasn't show up yet). It's also five stars.

Ed, thank you for the neat video; it was cute and charming.

Needless to say, this set belongs in every vintage comedy fan's collection! I've watched each short several times (with and without Richard's always fun and informative commentaries).

I think my favorites on the set are Snappy Sneezer and Crazy Feet. I agree with Rob, there are no duds on this set. Chase found his footing in sound almost immediately.

One of my favorite series of DVDs.

Dennis Campa

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:00 pm

Rob and Dennis, I agree with you both wholeheartedly - this is an essential set for all comedy fans and anyone who has an interest in the early sound era. (Glad you liked the little video I cobbled together, Dennis - muchas gracias.)

I just noticed that Amazon hasn't put up any reviews yet. I sent mine over on Saturday along with several screenshots but haven't heard anything. Maybe all Charley Chase reviews have to go through Bezos? Anyhow, here's my 5-star review:

Kit Parker Films has issued three previous DVD volumes of the great Charley Chase's sound comedies. This fourth collection of the 1929 Hal Roach shorts starring Chase is special cause for celebration - these films have not been available anywhere for over 90 years - incredibly, their soundtracks had been lost. Only recently have the sound discs for four of the shorts been discovered, and the two remaining films now have subtitles and an excellent music score composed by Andrew Earle Simpson. To say that these long unseen comedies do not disappoint would be a monumental understatement. Each of them is quite wonderful with at least two, SNAPPY SNEEZER and CRAZY FEET, ranking among my top favorites among the many hilarious films Charley Chase made. These six early sound comedies are polished and sophisticated, blending great sight gags with verbal humor seamlessly. As film historian and co-producer of this set Richard M. Roberts notes in his enlightening and entertaining commentary, the 1929 Hal Roach talkies were often leagues ahead of the major studios in terms of pacing, editing, and the creative use of sound. Plus we get to see the debut of the dapper Chase's best leading lady, the beautiful Thelma Todd, who from the get-go proves herself to be one of the movies' finest comediennes. I highly recommend this set to all Charley Chase and Thelma Todd fans, as well as anyone interested in Hal Roach comedies and films made at the start of the sound era. If you have the previous three Charley Chase volumes, you absolutely need this one!
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:30 pm

Well, the feedback has been very nice about Volume Four, and these have been nice reviews to see up on Amazon, even if I know all of the people who left reviews. Now, as usual, it's up to the rest of you who have bought and enjoy the set to make a little effort too. Go on, get those five-star ratings up there on Amazon, it's so damn easy now, you don't even have to spend a minute or two writing anything, just click on the five star indicator and be done with it.

Think we're done with mining the Hal Roach vaults? Well, there were some seriously uninformed who called Volume Three of the Charley Chase Talkie Collections the "final" set as well weren't there, we're only done if this set doesn't sell well enough to make it worth continuing, so if you want to see more, you still have to work a little harder than just buying the set yourself. Spending those few minutes putting up a five-star rating or review makes the Amazon algorhythms work a little harder to get the word to other Amazon customers who may not know about the set, and spreading word about the set on social media also sells another copy or two, it all adds up.

So go on, do your job, you've put Volume Four upon the shelf next to the other Volumes, don't kid yourself that you've done your part, not if you want to add more to that shelf.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:34 am

A nice review from Day Day Jr. at The Hitless Wonder Blog:

https://dandayjr35.blogspot.com/2022/10 ... lkies.html

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rift Corbitt

Postby Rift Corbitt » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:23 pm

Just ordered another copy of Volume 1 as a gift for a buddy - another Thelma Todd fan. It may result in orders for all the volumes from him when he sees how excellent those shorts look.
Last edited by Rift Corbitt on Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:07 am

If there are still some folk who haven't bought Volume Four of the Charley Chase Talkies 1929, Amazon now has it for sale for $15.50

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B42XYWJL/

RICHARD M ROBERTS