Question regarding THE STAGE HAND

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Ed Watz
Associate

Re: Question regarding THE STAGE HAND

Postby Ed Watz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:25 pm

ralph celentano wrote:
LOVE HONOR AND OBEY (THE LAW!) * 1936. The cat and canary gag is a highlight. (I believe LOVE was shot on the Educational lot for Goodyear.)

General Service Studios - formerly Educational was it not? Also the car footage location shots were taken on Santa Monica Boulevard.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

ralph celentano
Associate

Postby ralph celentano » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:03 pm

That's right

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:36 am

ralph celentano wrote:THE STAGE HAND is one Langdon title I have trouble tolerating.

Two of my favorites are KNIGHT DUTY 1933 and

LOVE HONOR AND OBEY (THE LAW!) * 1936. The cat and canary gag is a highlight. (I believe LOVE was shot on the Educational lot for Goodyear.)

* My 1935 Kodak ** printdown with opening titles from my negative was used on the Langdon Lost and found DVD set.

** Possibly left over Kodak stock from the previous year.

There actually was no Educational Lot by 1935 in Hollywood, and General Service Studios rented to everyone. Educational used both General and earlier, the Metropolitan Studios (were they the same lot with different owners?). Educational had nothing to do with making LOVE, HONOR AND OBEY THE LAW.

The film was most likely made in 1935, as Langdon was out of the Country for most of 1936.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

ralph celentano
Associate

Postby ralph celentano » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Early ads show both Metropolitan and General were Educational's West Coast shooting locations.

My impression is they owned both.

LAW was shot there for Goodyear.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:34 pm

The last time I was in L.A. I was rubbernecking around that studio site. Its still in operation today as Hollywood Studio.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:
ralph celentano wrote:THE STAGE HAND is one Langdon title I have trouble tolerating.

* My 1935 Kodak ** printdown with opening titles from my negative was used on the Langdon Lost and found DVD set.

There actually was no Educational Lot by 1935 in Hollywood, and General Service Studios rented to everyone. Educational used both General and earlier, the Metropolitan Studios (were they the same lot with different owners?). Educational had nothing to do with making LOVE, HONOR AND OBEY THE LAW.

The film was most likely made in 1935, as Langdon was out of the Country for most of 1936.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Harold Lloyd also filmed at Metropolitan, at least in talkie days - MOVIE CRAZY for certain, possibly WELCOME DANGER and FEET FIRST as well, they seem to ring a bell. It should be easy enough to check the studio addresses of Educational, General Service and Metropolitan in the FILM DAILY yearbook.

You are quite correct Richard -- Harry left the US for the UK in late 1935. Mrs. L had a portrait of Vernon Dent that he autographed, "Gee, Harry, I'm wishing you and Mabel the greatest success on your trip! - from your pal Vernon - Christmas 1935."
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi Ralph - when you get a chance please take a look at the PM I sent you yesterday...thanks, Ed

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:03 pm

ralph celentano wrote:Early ads show both Metropolitan and General were Educational's West Coast shooting locations.

If Educational had owned General Service Studios, they wouldn't have gone out of business, it has always been one of the busiest independent studios in Hollywood, renting to everyone from the majors to the minors. Educational was basically out of West Coast Production by mid-late 1935, moving all production to the Astoria Studios out on Long Island, their last West Coast films were the Buster Keatons and the Leigh Jason musicals. They rented General Service Studios again to make the last Keaton shorts in 1937, but that was only because Keaton didn;t want to remain in the East and he was their biggest star.

LOVE HONOR AND OBEY THE LAW was produced by Audio Productions for B. F Goodrich.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:26 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:
ralph celentano wrote:Early ads show both Metropolitan and General were Educational's West Coast shooting locations.

If Educational had owned General Service Studios, they wouldn't have gone out of business, it has always been one of the busiest independent studios in Hollywood, renting to everyone from the majors to the minors. Educational was basically out of West Coast Production by mid-late 1935, moving all production to the Astoria Studios out on Long Island, their last West Coast films were the Buster Keatons and the Leigh Jason musicals. They rented General Service Studios again to make the last Keaton shorts in 1937, but that was only because Keaton didn;t want to remain in the East and he was their biggest star.

LOVE HONOR AND OBEY THE LAW was produced by Audio Productions for B. F Goodrich.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Educational was bending over backwards to accomodate Buster in late 1936-37, it was obvious that the studio correctly saw Keaton as their biggest drawing card and salvation as production costs escalated and the independent short subject producer's day was nearly over. Hammons was making plans to star Keaton in a feature in 1937 but wasn't able to get the commitment he required from Twentieth Century Fox. Not sure if any of this was in the recent book on Keaton's talkies - I've never seen the book - if so my apologies for any redundancy.

Michael J Hayde
Associate

Postby Michael J Hayde » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Educational had its own lot when Langdon started working there in '32 - it was the former Principal Pictures Studio at 7250 Santa Monica Blvd. It became Western Service Studios in late '33. Up to that point, Arvid Gillstrom had continued to utilize the lot even after he'd switched distribution to Paramount. Langdon's final Gillstrom short, PETTING PREFERRED, was shot at General Service Studios in January 1934.

Langdon returned to General Service that December to shoot LOVE, HONOR AND OBEY (THE LAW) for B.F. Goodrich, which was produced in between his second and third Columbia shorts (hence the "courtesy of Columbia Pictures" on the titles). It was copyrighted in May 1935 and played for free that spring at various schools, civic auditoriums and vacant theaters, along with a newsreel and a feature entitled HIGHWAY PATROL.

Michael