THE WHITE HOPE (1936) Joe Cook, George Givot

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

THE WHITE HOPE (1936) Joe Cook, George Givot

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:31 am

Joe Cook's last Educational comedy released march 27, 1936, directed by Walter Graham, and featuring George Givot, Bernadine Hayes, and George Watts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbi2oldEf0E

RICHARD M ROBERTS

William Ferry
Cugine

Re: THE WHITE HOPE (1936) Joe Cook, George Givot

Postby William Ferry » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:48 pm

Well, hooooooow do you like that? I know Educational shorts, especially talkies, get a bad rap, but these Joe Cook shorts are pretty good overall.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:34 pm

William Ferry wrote:Well, hooooooow do you like that? I know Educational shorts, especially talkies, get a bad rap, but these Joe Cook shorts are pretty good overall.

There's no problem with Educational talkie shorts , except for some humorless dingbats who don't get them and whine. Apart from the Keaton and Langdons, a number of the Astoria-produced shorts have fun Broadway, Radio and Vaudeville performers like Cook, Willie Howard, Bert Lahr, Danny Kaye, Charles Kemper, Ernest Truex, many more.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:37 pm

It's a shame for posterity's sake that Joe Cook only made five two-reelers for Educational, each of the four in circulation showcase his quirky personality wonderfully. But the fifth short GIV 'IM AIR (1936) has proven to be elusive, to me at least. In my limited experience, I never came across it on any collector lists in the old BIG REEL/FILM COLLECTOR'S WORLD days. The film's premise sounds like a perfect Joe Cook setup: he works in the sound-effects department of a radio station and is prone to producing the wrong effects. I'm hoping that all five of the Cook-Educationals are in Paul Gierucki and Filmmuseum's enormous trove of Educational talkie shorts. A Blu-Ray volume or two of pristine Educational shorts a la Paul's MACK SENNETT COLLECTION would be a fabulous and most welcome treasure chest to ALL the Mafiosi.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)