Mike and Ike (they don't really look alike)

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Steve Massa
Capo

Mike and Ike (they don't really look alike)

Postby Steve Massa » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi guys
While surfing around on youtube I came across the first reel of the Stern Bros. "Mike & Ike" comedy ALL FOR UNCLE (10/19/1927). Here's a link:

Charles Dorety is Ike and Charles King is Mike. Their maid is Dorothea Wolbert, the big guy is Harry Martel, and the little girl is Lorriane Rivero. Joe Bonner turns up in a bit and the girl that Ike idolizes in the photos is Thelma Daniels. Since it's only the first reel we never get to see uncle. It was produced by the Sterns and directed by Francis Corby (never a good sign).

DaveGlass

Re: Mike and Ike (they don't really look alike)

Postby DaveGlass » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi Steve

This was shown at Slapsticon this year. David Wyatt brought his copy over.
I've got it on 16mm too, so I'll try and share it one day.
They may not look alike to Steve "Eagle Eyes" Massa, but to mere mortals like us.....

DG

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Steve Massa wrote:
Charles Dorety is Ike and Charles King is Mike. Their maid is Dorothea Wolbert, the big guy is Harry Martel, and the little girl is Lorriane Rivero. Joe Bonner turns up in a bit and the girl that Ike idolizes in the photos is Thelma Daniels. Since it's only the first reel we never get to see uncle. It was produced by the Sterns and directed by Francis Corby (never a good sign).

Awww, there's nothing wrong with Francis Corby as a comedy director, some of those Stern Brother Comedies are pretty good, I like TELEVISION GEORGE (1929) with Syd Saylor and the Buster Browns Corby directed are pretty solid, and he married Grandma Walton (Ellen Corby) when she was just a script girl. You can't blame him for the Newlyweds and Their Baby comedies, what could anyone do with Sunny McKeen?

Thanks for posting this, MIke and Ikes are hard to see and basically they were just the Sterns reviving the Hallroom Boys formula under a similar comic strip that spawned a still popular candy.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:03 am

Hey, here's reel two if anyone wants to see the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6ymQXm ... &index=122

RICHARD M ROBERTS