Bud Duncan query...

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
DaveGlass

Bud Duncan query...

Postby DaveGlass » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:40 am

Hi chaps
I just watched THE PAPERHANGER'S REVENGE starring Kewpie Morgan, Dot Farley and jolly Bud Duncan.
As I was watching my brain started shouting at me that I'd seen the film before, so after rummaging through my piles (it's an age thing), I came across POOR RICH CLEANERS.
Same film, different title.
Hmmm, so which title is correct?

Both are listed separately in IMDB.
There's an inter-title near the end of both films which refers to the two main leads as "poor rich cleaners".
And on my copy of 'Poor Rich Cleaners', 'The End' title card has 'Poor Rich Cleaners' on it in the corner.
Anyone got any further info on this please?

Dave

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Bud Duncan query...

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:50 am

DaveGlass wrote:Hi chaps
I just watched THE PAPERHANGER'S REVENGE starring Kewpie Morgan, Dot Farley and jolly Bud Duncan.
As I was watching my brain started shouting at me that I'd seen the film before, so after rummaging through my piles (it's an age thing), I came across POOR RICH CLEANERS.
Same film, different title.
Hmmm, so which title is correct?

Both are listed separately in IMDB.
There's an inter-title near the end of both films which refers to the two main leads as "poor rich cleaners".
And on my copy of 'Poor Rich Cleaners', 'The End' title card has 'Poor Rich Cleaners' on it in the corner.
Anyone got any further info on this please?

Dave

Well, that sounds like my print of the film you were looking at, and when we did this Id'ing at the first MOSTLY LOST symposium, I told one and all that I had a print of this and that it was titled POOR RICH CLEANERS, but, when it comes out on the MOSTLY LOST 2 DVD, it's titled THE PAPERHANGERS HELPER. Go figure.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:52 am

Richard M Roberts
the MOSTLY LOST 2 DVD

Never heard of these DVDs. A web search shows nothing. The Al St John comedy THE PAPER HANGERS (1921) is on the Silent Comedy Mafia DVD Vol 2. Is that the one you mean?

Pasquale Ventura

DaveGlass

Postby DaveGlass » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Thanks Richard.
I thought it must be so.
More like MOSTLY CONFUSED then...

It also gave me an excuse to watch SMILE BUTTERCUP SMILE again. What a great comedy!
I've got a really good Toots and Casper somewhere too, which needs identifying.
I'll post it soon, so you can see if you recognize it...

Pasquale - the original films referred to are : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1074585/?re ... lmg_act_55
and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1354052/?re ... lmg_act_54