Cinematek Channel on Youtube with rare silent comedies

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Cinematek Channel on Youtube with rare silent comedies

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:33 am

Hey Gang,

Cinematek has started its own Youtube Channel :

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 7aR3oDcI1G

That already has some interesting goodies, including that Heinie and Louie that was on the European Gateway site (which is most likely HOOEY HEROES (1917)). There's also a Gale Henry/Billy Franey/MIlburn Morante Joker Comedy, a rare keystone, and an early Al Christie, with lots more to come. Enjoy!

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Pasquale Ventura

Re: Cinematek Channel on Youtube with rare silent comedies

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:31 am

Really enjoyed HER BIRTHDAY PRESENT. Is Henry Lehrman portraying a Jewish burglar?

Eric Cohen
Associate

Re: Cinematek Channel on Youtube with rare silent comedies

Postby Eric Cohen » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:14 am

Did you notice? dept.:
At the 7:35 minute mark of Hubby's Night Out (Christie 1917), copies of Moving Picture World can be seen on the newstand rack. Only 15 cents.

Richard Finegan

Trade Papers available to public?

Postby Richard Finegan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:01 am

Eric Cohen wrote:Did you notice? dept.:
At the 7:35 minute mark of Hubby's Night Out (Christie 1917), copies of Moving Picture World can be seen on the newstand rack. Only 15 cents.

I've wondered about that. Occasionally I've spotted "Motion Picture Herald"s or "Film Daily"s displayed at newsstands in old movies. And in one 1943 feature a copy of a Film Daily Yearbook is seen on a bookshelf in someone's home.
So...were publications such as these actually sold at newsstands and available to the general public? I figure the studio just rounded up whatever was around to use as props in newsstand scenes, figuring the viewers wouldn't notice.