Slapsticon 2013 Reports Thread

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Gary Johnson
Cugine
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:15 am
Location: Sonoma, CA
Contact:

Re: Slapsticon 2013 Reports Thread

Postby Gary Johnson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Richard and I had a short discussion about that roller coaster roadway in SNAPPY SNEEZER since Del Lord also used it for THUNDERING TAXIS. According to Mr. Roberts it actually was some sort of stand alone amusement ride back when LA was developing over night and fly-by-night hucksters were jumping on the bandwagon trying to create some weird, unique tourist trap. I think this little roadway falls under that heading. It was eventually torn down later in the decade.

I can't help you with this whole mule-bovine syndrome of yours. You best see a doctor for that.

Wm. Charles Morrow
Associate
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: Slapsticon 2013 Reports Thread

Postby Wm. Charles Morrow » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:Richard and I had a short discussion about that roller coaster roadway in SNAPPY SNEEZER since Del Lord also used it for THUNDERING TAXIS. According to Mr. Roberts it actually was some sort of stand alone amusement ride back when LA was developing over night and fly-by-night hucksters were jumping on the bandwagon trying to create some weird, unique tourist trap. I think this little roadway falls under that heading. It was eventually torn down later in the decade.

I can't help you with this whole mule-bovine syndrome of yours. You best see a doctor for that.


Thanks for the info on that roller coaster roadway thing, which is interesting.

As for the rest of it, yes, perhaps I do need to see a doctor. Ever since Slapsticon, I’ve had a series of recurring, surreal dreams. Mules spray bears with old-fashioned seltzer bottles. People in vintage suits step off streetcars, then disappear into bottomless mud-holes, never to be seen again. Lloyd Hamilton, dressed as a Nazi general, conducts a meeting of a sinister secret society, when suddenly, over the skyline, there looms the giant, unmistakable figure of Anita Garvin, carrying Farina, climbing a skyscraper that hasn’t even been built yet, and swatting at planes. One of the planes is piloted by Ben Turpin. I wake up screaming.

Yes, I think I need professional help.

Joe Migliore
Cugine
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Slapsticon 2013 Reports Thread

Postby Joe Migliore » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:42 am

Gary Johnson wrote:
THE BATTLING ORIOLES was proof that the Roach studio could survive without Harold Lloyd (creatively, that is. They still missed the financial ends he pulled in), but watching Glenn Tryon being forced to fill Lloyd's shoes makes one appreciate Harold Lloyd all the more.


I think the film would have been laden with memorable gags if Lloyd (and the gagmen he took with him) ultimately made the feature. It was still enjoyable seeing the Roach regulars. I believe Grapevine has this one; I'll have to remember that.

Joe Migliore
Cugine
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Slapsticon 2013 Reports Thread

Postby Joe Migliore » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:09 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:
Someone who stayed on will have to clue the rest of us in on what else played.


Charlie did a good job recalling the extras that ran in the finale, but I also remember a Hank Mann short, the title of which escapes me. As does the story. I seem to remember him on a horse. Or a mule. Possibly a cow.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Slapsticon 2013 Reports Thread

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:Gary Johnson wrote:
Someone who stayed on will have to clue the rest of us in on what else played.


Charlie did a good job recalling the extras that ran in the finale, but I also remember a Hank Mann short, the title of which escapes me. As does the story. I seem to remember him on a horse. Or a mule. Possibly a cow.



The Hank Mann short was WAY OUT WEST (Arrow 1920), directed by Charles Parrott. We also ran KICK (Reelcraft 1920) with MIlburn Morante and directed by Grover Jones.


RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:15 am
Location: Sonoma, CA
Contact:

Re: Slapsticon 2013 Reports Thread

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:07 pm

I just remembered another extra that played on the first day right after the Weiss shorts. A fellow mafiosa indentified it to me as THE DANCER (20?) - also from Reelcraft. It took place inside a dance studio and although I didn't recognize anyone in the cast, it was lively and moved well.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Slapsticon 2013 Reports Thread

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:39 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:I just remembered another extra that played on the first day right after the Weiss shorts. A fellow mafiosa indentified it to me as THE DANCER (20?) - also from Reelcraft. It took place inside a dance studio and although I didn't recognize anyone in the cast, it was lively and moved well.



Billy Franey.


RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Migliore
Cugine
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Slapsticon 2013 Reports Thread

Postby Joe Migliore » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:22 am

One of the films that I've been remembering in the month that has passed is the Smitty short NO CHILDREN. Do many of these survive? This one was far better than I expected it to be; I mistakenly thought it would be an Our Gang imitation, like Hey Fellas.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Slapsticon 2013 Reports Thread

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:01 am

Joe Migliore wrote:One of the films that I've been remembering in the month that has passed is the Smitty short NO CHILDREN. Do many of these survive? This one was far better than I expected it to be; I mistakenly thought it would be an Our Gang imitation, like Hey Fellas.



A few of them are around. I have one called CIRCUS TIME that features a cameo by Billy Bevan. The one I would like to find is NO SALE SMITTY (1928) which features a cameo by Lloyd Hamilton.


RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Slapsticon 2013 Reports Thread

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:12 pm

For those who have requested it, here is the list of what Rob Stone showed in his RARITIES program:

UNIDENTIFIED MONTY BANKS COMEDY

DEVILLED CRABS (Pokes and Jabbs Comedy, Wizard or Jaxon?)

RIPS AND RUSHES (Vitagraph 1916—Jimmy Aubrey)

RUN `EM RAGGED (Roach –Pathe 1921----Snub Pollard)

FATHER WAS A LOAFER (L-KO 1916 ---Billie Ritchie)

A STRENUOUS VISIT (Vim 1916-----Harry Myers, Rosemary Theby)

STRIPES AND STARS (Vitagraph 1918----Billy Ruge)

LOVE `EM AND FEED `EM (Roach-Pathe’ 1927-----Oliver Hardy, Max Davidson, Martha Sleeper, fragment with more footage)

PANTS (Bullseye 1919-----Gale Henry)

HAM AND YEGGS (CBC- Federated 1923-----Hallroom Boys)



RICHARD M ROBERTS


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests