Slapsticon 2013 Reports Thread

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Slapsticon 2013 Reports Thread

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:23 pm

Here’s what David Wyatt showed in his RARITIES program:

THE HONORABLE MR. BUGGS (Roach-Pathe’ 1927) with Matt Moore, Oliver Hardy, Sojin, Anna May Wong.

UNIDENTIFIED AL ST. JOHN COMEDY with Anita Garvin and Glen Cavender

ALL FOR UNCLE (Stern Bros- Universal 1927) Mike and Ike Comedy with Joe Young and Nick LaSalle

HECTIC DAYS (Educational 1928) with Lupino lane

HARD KNOCKS AND LOVE TAPS (Sennett- First National 1921) with Charlie Murray (restored by Dave Glass)

YOUR OWN BACK YARD (Roach- Pathe 1925) with Our Gang (restored by Robin Cook)

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:58 am

LOVE 'EM & FEED 'EM is a tantalizing bit of footage. I hope both reels eventually turn up, as I am eager to see Max & Babe work together.

A STRENUOUS VISIT was fun, and made me remember that Harry Myers is a highlight of CITY LIGHTS. (I think he's in ALLEZ OOP sitting next to Keaton at the circus.)

HECTIC DAYS, as mentioned earlier in this thread, was a real crowd pleaser. Lupino Lane definitely deserves more attention, and I hope he gets a DVD set.

YOUR OWN BACK YARD which got some discussion here, is a beautiful restoration.

Thanks to Rob Stone for bringing repatriated prints from LOC, and to David Wyatt not only for bringing those French 9.5mm titles, but for translating THE HONORABLE MR. BUGGS to the enthralled Slapsticon audience.

Annichen Skaren
Cugine

Re: Movie Morlocks First Slapsticon 2013 report

Postby Annichen Skaren » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:05 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:
Mr. Wyatt also brought an unidentified Al St. John short, and he asked the audience to help him identify it. I don't think anyone could place it, but I think Mr. Arkus made the sensible suggestion that the absent Mr. Massa get a crack at it.

There's a chance that I could help out, Al is kinda my "thing". I would very much like to get in touch with Mr. Wyatt as I am at the moment compiling material for the first of several Al St. John DVDs that I will release through my own company. The first DVD is already in production and only a few shorts more are needed.

Robert Arkus
Capo

Re: Movie Morlocks First Slapsticon 2013 report

Postby Robert Arkus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:28 am

Annichen Skaren wrote:
Joe Migliore wrote:
Mr. Wyatt also brought an unidentified Al St. John short, and he asked the audience to help him identify it. I don't think anyone could place it, but I think Mr. Arkus made the sensible suggestion that the absent Mr. Massa get a crack at it.

There's a chance that I could help out, Al is kinda my "thing". I would very much like to get in touch with Mr. Wyatt as I am at the moment compiling material for the first of several Al St. John DVDs that I will release through my own company. The first DVD is already in production and only a few shorts more are needed.

Hi Annichen,

Dave Wyatt showed the 2nd reel of an unidentified Al St. John short. It was a video transfer from a 9.5 mm print. Here's my notes (fwiw):

He's a bike messenger delivering a dress to a party for royalty (?). Anita Garvin as the villain's girl and I think the villain may be Johhny Sinclair; who steals the countess's (?) pearl necklass, hides it in a glass of punch that Al's girl (don't recognize her), who's a waitress at the party, hands to Al. Al drinks and swallows the necklace. Big chase and Al foils the villains, spits up the necklace and gets the girl.

This is a re-working of the plot from Al's 1919 film SPEED. Also, I was told that the villain is Glen Cavender, but I'm not sure I agree ... I'd like to see it again!!

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:56 pm

One of the smarter decisions I made at Slapsticon this year was to buy the film programs from previous years which I haven't attended. They are addictive, so I have to ask, however unlikely, if there are programs from 2006 or earlier for sale. Anyone?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:One of the smarter decisions I made at Slapsticon this year was to buy the film programs from previous years which I haven't attended. They are addictive, so I have to ask, however unlikely, if there are programs from 2006 or earlier for sale. Anyone?

The 2005 program is out of print at the moment, and the 03 and 04 programs were little more than lists of films with no notes, and will most likely stay out of print.

We're working on selling all the back programs through the Slapsticon website. Stay tuned.

RICHARD M ROBERTS