Jimmy Aubrey-THE MECHANIC

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
David Denton
Capo

Jimmy Aubrey-THE MECHANIC

Postby David Denton » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:50 pm

here's THE MECHANIC from 1924 with Jimmy Aubrey and Lew Meehan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPNrLaiy_7U

Pasquale Ventura

Re: Jimmy Aubrey-THE MECHANIC

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:54 pm

Wonderful. This is the second Jimmy Aubrey Vitagraph comedy I' seen and so far enjoyed both.
Thanks for posting this.

Rob Stone
Associate

Postby Rob Stone » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Not a Vitagraph, but a Joe Rock.

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Pardon me, there where no titles. Ok then ...... this is the second early Jimmy Aubrey I've seen apart from his later Weiss Brothers and really enjoy his comedy gags.

Robert Arkus
Capo

Postby Robert Arkus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:30 am

Pasquale Ventura wrote:Pardon me, there where no titles. Ok then ...... this is the second early Jimmy Aubrey I've seen apart from his later Weiss Brothers and really enjoy his comedy gags.

This is the 2nd reel of the film. The 1st reel follows Aubrey's misguided journey from getting bodily thrown out of a racetrack, getting whisked across town via some "thrill-comedy" cartoon gags that land him in that garage by mistake. One well executed sequence involves a ladder on wheels with a tow rope over a cliff and provides a scene similar to one in Keaton's OUR HOSPITALITY, which was released less than 6 months earlier.

Eric Stott
Cugine

Postby Eric Stott » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Aside from the damage the image quality is great. At this period Jimmy Aubrey is very tolerable when he's in motion and not in closeups- still has that nasty mustache.