Counting Down to SLAPSTICON 2013

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Counting Down to SLAPSTICON 2013

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Well, the prints are prepped, the bags are packed, and this week a lot of films by funny dead people and live people who like them will be wending their way Mid-Westward towards Bloomington, Indiana to converge at Slapsticon 2013. We wish you all safe travels back and forth, and look forward to seeing you soon.

The weather looks like it will be rainy, so it might be a good idea to bring an umbrella or rain coat, but we all know most of our time will be spent inside. It also looks like we have a number of interesting surprises that will pop up in our program during the weekend, so you might not want to leave the Theater early just because you don’t like the last film on the printed schedule, especially if there looks like there will be a ten or twenty minute block of time available after that last listed short in that time slot.

In the back of the program book, there are two lists of dining choices that are nearby, near the Indiana University Theater, there are two on-campus food courts, one in the Memorial Union,(where the Biddle Hotel is housed) and the Cyber Café in the Library across the street from the Theater. Both have various fast food options, including Burger King, Pizza Hut and Chick Fil-A, and the schedule shows when they are open and on what days during the Festival. The other list is of other Dining options in the general area that are reachable by car or a reasonable walk. On Sunday evening after the film showings end, we are planning to have a farewell banquet, and we will need to know if you are interested in attending, so please email me either through silentcomedymafia.com or the info address on the Slapsticon website, or come up an tell us at the Fest, and we’ll put your name on the banquet list.

Also, once again, those who have bought their 4-day festival pass in advance will have their parking pass waiting for them at the parking lot entrance when they arrive, which is why we recommend that you buy your pass in advance rather than wait to buy it when you arrive if you’re driving to the event. There may be some extra expense or difficulty in parking if you haven’t bought your pass in advance. Well---we’ve warned you.

Well, that seems to be all we can tell you, except again, pleasant journeys. We know of several folk who can’t make it this year for a variety of reasons, and to them we send our condolences and let them know they will be missed, but we also know by our attendance list that several new and interesting folk will also be coming to the event for the first time, and we send a happy welcome to them. Here’s to a new and interesting mix of the Slapsticon Audience!

Oh yes, and one more thing, we are not affiliated with this group, even if they have apparently tried to appropriate our name:

http://slapcon.com/details.php

Might be too bad, looks like some of their guests are cuter than ours.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Counting Down to SLAPSTICON 2013

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:48 pm

Chance of thunderstorms all week with temps near 90 degrees....??
I smell potential for a good old-fashioned Midwest F5 tornado.
(That seems to be the only level that Mother Nature produces anymore)

Forget the rain-gear and galoshes. I'm bringing alone my Grandpa's storm cellar.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:Chance of thunderstorms all week with temps near 90 degrees....??
I smell potential for a good old-fashioned Midwest F5 tornado.
(That seems to be the only level that Mother Nature produces anymore)

Forget the rain-gear and galoshes. I'm bringing alone my Grandpa's storm cellar.

Well, there aren't any Trailer Parks near the IU Cinema, so we should be safe from any tornados,

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Roots

Postby Jim Roots » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:29 pm

This being the first time ever that Slapsticon didn't conflict with my employer's AGM, I thought I would have a good chance of finally attending. Alas, the transportation logistics just couldn't be worked out within the extremely tight schedule I have for family events in the same week.

Some day I'm gonna get there.

Jim
When you're surrounded by vultures, playing dead is not a good strategy.

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:41 am

As I mentioned a few months back, I have a pesky 40th wedding anniversary that provides a conflict; she just wouldn't understand. But if one of those surprises includes a long thought lost Lehrman film, I think I'll slit my wrists.

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Thomas Reeder wrote:
As I mentioned a few months back, I have a pesky 40th wedding anniversary that provides a conflict; she just wouldn't understand. But if one of those surprises includes a long thought lost Lehrman film, I think I'll slit my wrists.

Just tell your wife that the doctor has ordered you to take a sea voyage, and that Stan is coming with you. I don't anticipate any problems with that scenario.

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:52 pm

If anyone who is going to Slapsticon can score me a program, I would GREATLY appreciate it and can respond with some $$$$.