SMILEAGE GUARANTEED, Hal Roach Book Coming Soon

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

SMILEAGE GUARANTEED, Hal Roach Book Coming Soon

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:15 am

Hey Gang,

Yeah, I know I broke the news first on Nitrateville this morning (sorry Guys, it came up in conversation), so I guess I'll repeat it here. I said:

"Well, it looks like you all may be getting this in May:

Stay tuned for more details. "

So, stay tuned for more details.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Re: Some Interesting News

Postby Joe Migliore » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:55 pm

Sweet! Very welcome news, indeed. Will you be selling and signing copies at Slapsticon?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:Sweet! Very welcome news, indeed. Will you be selling and signing copies at Slapsticon?

Well, no, we decided to have the Grand Premiere Sendoff and Signing for the Book here in Phoenix at our local Gas Station and Eatery, the "Pump and Munch", because I'm sure some of the Hells Angels bikers who frequent there would love to read about Franklyn Pangborn's appearance in the Taxi Boy Comedies, then we'll be doing signings at the St. Pinky's Home for the Completely Sightless, Stupid, or just generally unable to read Subtitles, because, I don't know, I just get a gut feeling there's an untapped market there for silent films.

While in Bloomington, we're not going to bother with Slapsticon, why would one possibly want to sell a book on Hal Roach Comedies there, just sounds silly, but we will be doing a nude midnight book signing and barbecue at the Kinsey Institute highlighting the further nude pictures of Max Davidson that we dug up and put full colorized reproductions of in the center of the Book, as well as a free poster with the first 500 copies sold. Any residual copies of the book I have I just plan to take to the nearest Freeway Overpass and dump on the passing cars, but I will have my name and address inside each book so the people who manage to pick it up without being run over by other passing cars will be able to put the full purchase price in the mail to me.

Slapsticon!...........Please, we're professionals here, why would we be madly rushing to get the book out in May when I'm just going to be hopping around the East Coast and Midwest going to things like Cinevent, the MOSTLY LOST Symposium in Culpeper, and this Slapsticon thing in May and June? Like, who's going to buy a 522 page book on Hal Roach comedies with approximately 500 photographs and the most extensive Hal Roach filmography ever published at places like that? But I think my Agent has me booked to do a signing at the Nana Mouskouri Fan Club Convention in Boyle Heights in July. I'll have to order more books for that one.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:55 pm

Well, alright; but I will be wearing socks at the Kinsey Institute.

Michael J Hayde
Associate

Postby Michael J Hayde » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Strange. Usually, when running Richard's responses through an online sarcasm filter (www.translatebombasticcurmudgeons.com), I get the actual answer to the question. This time, it's just returning "Wouldn't YOU like to know?"

Looking forward to buying a copy, hopefully at (or near) MOSTLY LOST II. But then, why would you want to pack several copies of a 522-page Hal Roach book and lug them them to a gathering of fellow archivists, authors and researchers?

Michael

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Michael J Hayde wrote:Strange. Usually, when running Richard's responses through an online sarcasm filter (http://www.translatebombasticcurmudgeons.com), I get the actual answer to the question. This time, it's just returning "Wouldn't YOU like to know?"

Looking forward to buying a copy, hopefully at (or near) MOSTLY LOST II. But then, why would you want to pack several copies of a 522-page Hal Roach book and lug them them to a gathering of fellow archivists, authors and researchers?

Michael

Your translators out of whack, especially since the obvious answer to the question is "Duhhhhhhhhh".

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Naked Max Davidson?
Any chance of some scantilly clothed Spec O'Donnell in ther too?

I don't know how I could stand it!
Agnes McFadden

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Agnes McFadden wrote:Naked Max Davidson?
Any chance of some scantilly clothed Spec O'Donnell in ther too?

I don't know how I could stand it!

The scary thing is, I wasn't actually kidding in the part about finding more naked pictures of Max Davidson, and yeah, there's a still of O'Donnell in step-ins---------The Horror! The Horror!

RICHARD M ROBERTS (This isn't really the way I planned on selling copies of the Book)

Michael J Hayde
Associate

Postby Michael J Hayde » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:56 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:The scary thing is, I wasn't actually kidding in the part about finding more naked pictures of Max Davidson, and yeah, there's a still of O'Donnell in step-ins---------The Horror! The Horror!

RICHARD M ROBERTS (This isn't really the way I planned on selling copies of the Book)

For pity's sake, please tell us there's also more outtake stills from SLIGHTLY STATIC for balance!

Michael

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:51 am

Michael J Hayde wrote:
Richard M Roberts wrote:The scary thing is, I wasn't actually kidding in the part about finding more naked pictures of Max Davidson, and yeah, there's a still of O'Donnell in step-ins---------The Horror! The Horror!

For pity's sake, please tell us there's also more outtake stills from SLIGHTLY STATIC for balance!

Michael

Yeah, but they're just of Patsy Kelly!

Come to think of it though, there are nice cheesecake or generally revealing shots of Thelma Todd, Dorothy Granger, Martha Sleeper, Fay Wray, Dorothy Coburn (though I forgot to include those "special postcard" shots I have of her, damn), Anita Garvin, Vivan Oakland, Janet Gaynor,and a few other Hal Roach cuties as well. Plenty to balance out the traumatic images of Max and Spec.

RICHARD M ROBERTS