Kitty Howe

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Kitty Howe

Postby Thomas Reeder » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:14 pm

Kitty Howe acted in a handful of L-Ko Komedies for about a year from mid-1915 (THE CHILD NEEDED A MOTHER, LOVE ON AN EMPTY STOMACH, A MORTGAGE ON HIS DAUGHTER, SNORING IN HIGH C).

Jay A. Howe began directing at L-Ko late in 1916 and had at least a half dozen comedies released into mid-1917 (A LIMBURGER CYCLONE, FAKING FAKIRS, AFTER THE BALLED-UP BALL, DEFECTIVE DETECTIVES, NABBING A NOBLE, TOM'S TRAMPING TROUPE).

Does anyone know anything at all about Kitty Howe? While "Kitty" sounds like a female name, he was definitely a male, so perhaps they are one and the same person, the nickname "Kitty" dumped when he went into direction. There's a blurb in the 01/06/1917 issue of The Moving Picture World that states that Kitty Howe was directing Phil Dunham and Lucille Hutton in AIR CURRENTS AND CURRENCY (not released with that title), and since all of Jay Howe's releases co-starred Dunham and Hutton this would strongly suggest they were one and the same. Can anyone confirm this?

Tom Reeder

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Kitty Howe

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:59 pm

Thomas Reeder wrote:Kitty Howe acted in a handful of L-Ko Komedies for about a year from mid-1915 (THE CHILD NEEDED A MOTHER, LOVE ON AN EMPTY STOMACH, A MORTGAGE ON HIS DAUGHTER, SNORING IN HIGH C).

Jay A. Howe began directing at L-Ko late in 1916 and had at least a half dozen comedies released into mid-1917 (A LIMBURGER CYCLONE, FAKING FAKIRS, AFTER THE BALLED-UP BALL, DEFECTIVE DETECTIVES, NABBING A NOBLE, TOM'S TRAMPING TROUPE).

Does anyone know anything at all about Kitty Howe? While "Kitty" sounds like a female name, he was definitely a male, so perhaps they are one and the same person, the nickname "Kitty" dumped when he went into direction. There's a blurb in the 01/06/1917 issue of The Moving Picture World that states that Kitty Howe was directing Phil Dunham and Lucille Hutton in AIR CURRENTS AND CURRENCY (not released with that title), and since all of Jay Howe's releases co-starred Dunham and Hutton this would strongly suggest they were one and the same. Can anyone confirm this?

Tom Reeder

Well, we'll be able to confirm it in June, because we're showing THE CHILD NEEDED A MOTHER at Slapsticon 2013.

In fact, stay tuned for further new announcements and details concerning SLAPSTICON 2013 coming soon!

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi Tom
Pretty sure Jay A. and "Kitty" Howe are the same person. I've come across items in the 1920s trades about "Kitty" Howe directing at Roach, and I've also seen ads in the Film Daily Yearbook for J.A. "Kitty" Howe.

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:07 pm

The Film Daily Yearbook reference seems to be the clincher, Steve. Thanks for the confirmation.

As for Slapsticon 2013, Richard, while I'd love to see THE CHILD NEEDED A MOTHER, I have a 40th wedding anniversary falling that weekend. And since my wife would probably rather face a firing squad than view a silent comedy, I suspect I'll be elsewhere that weekend. Or divorced.

Tom

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:40 pm

Thomas Reeder wrote:The Film Daily Yearbook reference seems to be the clincher, Steve. Thanks for the confirmation.

As for Slapsticon 2013, Richard, while I'd love to see THE CHILD NEEDED A MOTHER, I have a 40th wedding anniversary falling that weekend. And since my wife would probably rather face a firing squad than view a silent comedy, I suspect I'll be elsewhere that weekend. Or divorced.

Tom

Well, you could tell her you have to go to the "mountains" for your health. I promise you we won't have a parade in front of newsreel cameras.

Ah well, if you've done 40, you might as well shoot for 41.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Keep it simple.
Tell the wife you are taking the garbage out that weekend and have your hat and coat hidden inside the receptacle.

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:35 am

Actually, I thought briefly of telling her I was running out for a quart of milk, then returning six days later and telling her I got lost on the way. While it was a brilliant plan, I decided it might not work.