How to ACTUALLY Find John Wayne in an Educational Comedy

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

How to ACTUALLY Find John Wayne in an Educational Comedy

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu May 31, 2012 8:46 am

I had a bad feeling this was going to happen……….

I mean, we’re researching Volume Two of my Magnum Trilogy on the Comedy Film Industry, the book on Educational Pictures, so we’ve been going through hundreds upon thousands of Educational Comedy stills, as well as still helping my ol’ buddy Scott Eyman with his John Wayne book, and after that nonsense with a couple of John Wayne looneys a few weeks ago over an obvious misidentification of John Wayne in a Lloyd Hamilton Comedy that he couldn’t have possibly appeared in, I’d be even more hyper-sensitive in keeping an eye out for the Dukester in Educational Comedies that I was coming across that……..

Well, yep, we found him…….

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... Wayne1.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... Wayne2.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... Wayne3.jpg

This still is from a 1927 Educational Mermaid Comedy called SEEING STARS, released October 16, 1927, Directed by Stephen Roberts and starring George Davis, with Phil Dunham, Molly Malone, Jack Miller, Ray Turner, Jack Lloyd, Bobby Burns, and Tiny Lipson, and, working as an extra, Marion Morrison himself. And gee, what I was talking about with the John Wayne Looneys in terms of finding the Guy appears to pan out: really tall kid, towers over everyone else in the room, lanky, broad shoulders, and the October 1927 release date on the short fits in just fine with Wayne’s own recollections as to having bit parts at Educational after he met John Ford in Late 1926. Not a Lloyd Hamilton Comedy, but if Wayne was doing bit parts at Educational, he would certainly be working in more than one series.

And yes, we’ve passed this around some noted historians like Sam Gill, Paul Gierucki, and Scott Eyman, and they all concur, this one’s the Duke.

So I’m sure this will cause more frothing by Mr. Tuttle and his Follower, but who cares really? The proof’s in the Pudding, or the picture, always worth a thousand words.

My Synchophants, I Thank You!

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: How to ACTUALLY Find John Wayne in an Educational Comedy

Postby Gary Johnson » Thu May 31, 2012 1:46 pm

You should anonymously send the still to the John Wayne Fan Club. After they toot their horn over their great discovery you can step forward and announce who their benefactor was.

I'm sure you will all be great pals after that gesture and probably plan a 4th of July picnic together in the Duke's hometown of Winterset, Iowa.
(Even though Michelle Bachmann thinks he was born somewhere in Wisconsin..... Don't invite her!)

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Thu May 31, 2012 2:49 pm

This is a great find. It's worth re-watching surviving Educational comedies from '27-'28 with half an eye open for the Duke. Even if you don't spot him, it's time well-spent.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:01 pm

And since the weekend, both Dave Kehr of the New York Times and Gretchen Wayne (John Wayne's Daughter in law) have weighed in that it is indeed John Wayne in the still.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Bill Coleman
Cugine

Postby Bill Coleman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Is the film itself extant, aside from the still?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:22 am

Bill Coleman wrote:Is the film itself extant, aside from the still?

There is a good chance that it does. We'll see what we shall see.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:40 pm

Hey, here's a nostalgic blast from the past. One of the John Wayne Looneys who went ballistic when we proved them wrong about John Wayne being in CAREFUL PLEASE with Lloyd Hamilton has now swiped my photos from SEEING STARS, cut off the RMR watermark, and have posted them on their "un-official" John Wayne Fan Message board claiming to have discovered them herself:

http://www.dukewayne.com/showthread.php?t=6485

What losers.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:22 pm

I just followed the link to view the offending post and, yes, those images were indeed taken from the SCM. Richard discovered the photo, was responsible for documenting Wayne's appearance in this short subject, and I personally made the jpgs which debuted here in May 2012. The images were used without permission, edited to hide the watermark, and then attributed to another member of the Wayne site. Reprehensible.

-- PG

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:24 pm

Let's lawyer up!!!........Pilgrim!