The Many Faces of Joy

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Bob Birchard

The Many Faces of Joy

Postby Bob Birchard » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:52 am

Al Joy in all his glory!
Attachments
Joys Many Faces.jpg
Joys Many Faces.jpg (142.44 KiB) Viewed 11138 times

Michael J Hayde
Associate

Re: The Many Faces of Joy

Postby Michael J Hayde » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:36 am

Looks like the makings of a terrific book cover, Bob!

In fact, there's no more appropriate subject for the first-ever volume credited to THE SILENT COMEDY MAFIA! Everybody pools their knowledge and research for the definitive tome of all things Joy.

How many pages will it take to do justice to the artist and the man? 200? 100? 7?

Michael

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:58 am

Bob - great Joy collage! I have a morbid curiosity to see one of his imitation Chaplin films like JITS AND WITS ('20)

Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:09 pm

If this cult fascination keeps up, might we not see Johnny Depp starring in "Al Joy" at some point in the not too distant future? As bad as the guy may have been - and he was pretty darn bad - at least he didn't dress up in cashmere sweaters (although Steve Massa's research may discover otherwise at some point).

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Jim Kerkhoff wrote:If this cult fascination keeps up, might we not see Johnny Depp starring in "Al Joy" at some point in the not too distant future? As bad as the guy may have been - and he was pretty darn bad - at least he didn't dress up in cashmere sweaters (although Steve Massa's research may discover otherwise at some point).

Very funny, Jim! LOL Steve can pin point the argyle socks period, too! LOL

Joking aside, great collection of Al Joy photos, Bob! So now I see who all the talk is about.
Gotta say he at least looks funny! Love that natural pose with all the little characters.
Thanks for posting and sharing, Bob! :-)

SteveR

Bob Birchard

Postby Bob Birchard » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:53 am

Steve Rydzewski wrote:
Jim Kerkhoff wrote:If this cult fascination keeps up, might we not see Johnny Depp starring in "Al Joy" at some point in the not too distant future? As bad as the guy may have been - and he was pretty darn bad - at least he didn't dress up in cashmere sweaters (although Steve Massa's research may discover otherwise at some point).

Very funny, Jim! LOL Steve can pin point the argyle socks period, too! LOL

Joking aside, great collection of Al Joy photos, Bob! So now I see who all the talk is about.
Gotta say he at least looks funny! Love that natural pose with all the little characters.
Thanks for posting and sharing, Bob! :-)

SteveR

I came about this collection in a strange way. I met an older guy at a screening at UCLA and he mentioned that he had some pictures of Al Joy, whom he had known in later years when he was an agent, and who he claimed was the "original Charlie Chaplin." Well, of course I knew he was blowing smoke, but he gave me his address and phone number along with a map to his house, and I gave him my contact information.

Periodically I'd shuffle some papers and come across the map and address again and think to myself, "I really ought to call that guy," but I never did.

Some fifteen years later I got a call out of the blue from this guy's widow. He had kept my contact info all those years as well; and as he died, his wife told me, Al Joy's name was on his lips, and when she was going through his things she came upon my phone number.

If Al Joy made no impression whatsoever on the silver screen, he at least made a lasting impression on this fellow in real life.