Vim / Jaxon Comedies

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Bob Birchard

Re: Vim / Jaxon Comedies

Postby Bob Birchard » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:39 am

Frank Flood wrote:Based on pictures I think I recall seeing in the past, the "Pokes and Jabbs - THEATER" on the suitcase that Burns is holding might not mean that they are at the Pokes & Jabbs Theater, but rather that the suitcase belongs to Pokes & Jabbs, and the railroad on which they have been traveling should send it on the local theater in town if performers and suitcase become separated.

You may be correct on this point, however I still don't think the still is from BEHIND THE FOOTLIGHTS (1916), because as Rob pointed out both Pokes and Jabbs are clearly entertainers in this, and they are not so described in the plot synopsis for that film.

Rob Stone
Associate

Re: Vim / Jaxon Comedies

Postby Rob Stone » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:37 pm

Just figured out today at work that we have print of this Pokes and Jabs comedy. Couple of troubling things though.... title lists it as a Jaxon but starring "Bobby Burns" with no mention of Walter Stull at all, also this film is a TWO reeler! Far as I can tell P&J only made one two reeler, so this may be it. Internal evidence shows that the film was made at the Garrick Studios in Jacksonville... and may very well have been the last thing they made in JAX.