"Easy Does It"

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
David B Pearson
Capo

"Easy Does It"

Postby David B Pearson » Sun May 08, 2011 10:11 am

Back in 2005, Katrina smashed the only entrance to my family's storage trailer, which unfortunately held most of my rarer stacks of silent comedy goodies on VHS. That, combined with the fact that I'm almost certainly the poorest member of the silent comedy mafia, reduced me to Blanche DuBois status. I slowly rebuilt my stacks on DVD, with some major help from some of the kinder people on this list -- which I'm more grateful for than I am willing to say, in fear of losing my crumudeon status.

Anyway, about six weeks ago -- and some five and a half years after the storm -- I was finally able to get into the trailer. I found that half the stuff had been destroyed by either being crushed, mildew, or rats. (Including several Lupino Lane tapes I severely mourn). However, the other half was in fairly good shape -- including a lot of cool out of print stuff from Grapevine and Videobrary. So I've been busy doing a LOT of video to DVD transfers to save what I can.

One title, called "Easy Does It" has me stumped. It was on a Grapevine collection tape called "Christie Comedies," which I got back in the early 1990s, I guess.

However, "Easy Does It" is probably not the title. The Grapevine box lists the title only, and I have NO CLUE who is in the damned thing, as none of them appear to be from the regular Christie lineup. (Although Christie is far, far from my forte.) Plus, none of the titles or intertitles are originals, and no cast listings. Also looks to be from 8mm, so its not too sharp.The title is not listed on IMDb (not that that fact carries much weight in this case). Silent Era does list it, but is as vague as Grapevine as to its content.

The plot of the film is about the kidnapping of a little rich girl that ends up being centered around a post office/train depot. A goat also figures into it. I can post frames if needed.

And as Grapevine Video was/is in Arizona, I suspect some rather tall Arizona film historian might have been behind this particular project, as well as a good idea of what the heck this is!

DBP
Last edited by David B Pearson on Sun May 08, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Massa
Capo

Re: "Easy Does It"

Postby Steve Massa » Sun May 08, 2011 1:34 pm

This is a Milburne Moranti short, and I'm pretty sure Al Christie didn't have a thing to do with it. Moranti made a lot of low-budget independent comedies that came out through Reelcraft and Special Pictures, so I think this is one of those. Don't recognize any of the other players. I've wondered what this one really is for years, as I've never comes across EASY DOES IT as a title for him. Whenever I look through the early trade magazines if I see an item on Moranti I always look to see if there's anything that matches this film. No luck yet - but maybe someone on the forum has info.

David B Pearson
Capo

Postby David B Pearson » Sun May 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Steve Massa wrote:This is a Milburne Moranti short, and I'm pretty sure Al Christie didn't have a thing to do with it. Moranti made a lot of low-budget independent comedies that came out through Reelcraft and Special Pictures, so I think this is one of those. Don't recognize any of the other players. I've wondered what this one really is for years, as I've never comes across EASY DOES IT as a title for him. Whenever I look through the early trade magazines if I see an item on Moranti I always look to see if there's anything that matches this film. No luck yet - but maybe someone on the forum has info.

Many thanks Steve!

So that is what a Milburne Moranti short is like...

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun May 08, 2011 8:37 pm

I vaguely remember this short, it's a Charles Tarbox reissue (with Charles Tarbox retitling)of a MIlburn Morante comedy thats not very funny and unfortunately one of his mid-twenties independents, not one of his Grover Jones- directed Reelcraft comedies, which are actually pretty good.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard Warner

Postby Richard Warner » Mon May 09, 2011 5:07 am

This short, as "Kidding the Kidnappers" is on a recent release from Loose Than Loose called Manchester 2010 Mirthquake Obscurities. Here's what they have to say about it:

"Kidding the Kidnappers" (not the correct title) (Bull's Eye - Reel Craft; 1920s) Cast: Milburn Morante. One reel (originally two reels). Source: original 16mm print. This title is an unidentified comedy released to the home-use market by "Cine Art" during the 1930s. It might possibly be "The Installment Plan."

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon May 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Richard Warner wrote:This short, as "Kidding the Kidnappers" is on a recent release from Loose Than Loose called Manchester 2010 Mirthquake Obscurities. Here's what they have to say about it:

"Kidding the Kidnappers" (not the correct title) (Bull's Eye - Reel Craft; 1920s) Cast: Milburn Morante. One reel (originally two reels). Source: original 16mm print. This title is an unidentified comedy released to the home-use market by "Cine Art" during the 1930s. It might possibly be "The Installment Plan."

Well, I'm not sure that is correct. As I recall, it's a later vintage comedy than the Moranti Reelcrafts, which ended in 1921-22, and Moranti did so many other independent series. But then again, i'm going on twenty-plus year old memories of the last time I bothered to look at the film.

The actual Moranti Reelcrafts I have are actually quite good KICK (1920) is one of the best Prohibition spoofs around. Grover Jones had a great weird sense of humor, and he does with Moranti the same odd-ball kind of gags he does with Billy franey.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

David B Pearson
Capo

Postby David B Pearson » Mon May 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:
Well, I'm not sure that is correct. As I recall, it's a later vintage comedy than the Moranti Reelcrafts, which ended in 1921-22, and Moranti did so many other independent series. But then again, i'm going on twenty-plus year old memories of the last time I bothered to look at the film.

The actual Moranti Reelcrafts I have are actually quite good KICK (1920) is one of the best Prohibition spoofs around. Grover Jones had a great weird sense of humor, and he does with Moranti the same odd-ball kind of gags he does with Billy franey.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Well, the only other example of Moranti's work I have is his supporting role in Gale Henry's THE DETECTRESS, which I think has some very nice gags -- although Moranti, with that giant wire hanger under his police uniform looks considerably different.

DBP

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon May 09, 2011 6:34 pm

David B Pearson wrote:
Richard M Roberts wrote:

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Well, the only other example of Moranti's work I have is his supporting role in Gale Henry's THE DETECTRESS, which I think has some very nice gags -- although Moranti, with that giant wire hanger under his police uniform looks considerably different.

DBP

Moranti can look different from film to film, he was also a makeup man, and he never settled on any particular comic persona. He was a tall, slim, balding fellow who either had bad teeth or was good at making it look like he had bad teeth a lot of the time. He plays a lot of hicks in B Westerns in the 30's and 40's.

RICHARD M ROBERTS