Answering Michael J Hayde on WE'RE IN THE NAVY NOW

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Answering Michael J Hayde on WE'RE IN THE NAVY NOW

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:35 pm

Hey There Michael,

Answering your question from Slapsticon Facebook Page(don't do Facebook Folks, I have a thing called a life), yes indeed WE'RE IN THE NAVY NOW(1926) with Wallace Beery and Raymond Hatton does survive. i have a Kodascope print of it. Though not the laugh spectacular advertised, it's not a bad film, and Chester Conklin has a good supporting role.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Michael J Hayde
Associate

Re: Answering Michael J Hayde on WE'RE IN THE NAVY NOW

Postby Michael J Hayde » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:26 am

Richard,

A very belated thank you. You may have "a life" beyond Facebook, but I suspect our lives would be all the poorer without your Kodascope collection.

And I would post images like that here, if I had the tech savvy that comes so naturally to others here. Until then:

Here is a link to a page from the Tacoma (WA) Times of September 11, 1915. At the bottom of the page are ads for two bogus Chaplin films: "Ambition" (at the Apollo Theater) and "The Mix-up" (coming to the Melbourne). Both were four reels long. The latter is described as "a new and unique comedy. This film is composed of the best comedy sections of practically every film that Chaplin has ever acted in. The sections have all been united in a genuinely mixed up manner, and the effect is ridiculously funny."

There's also a photo of the construction of either Mabel Normand's studio, or the expansion of the Keystone lot, in the center of the page.

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/ ... in+Charlie

Michael