Chaplin Time Traveler?

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Chaplin Time Traveler?

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 am

Take a look at this YouTube clip from the streets of LA in 1928. It features a promotional sign for "The Circus" in the background with a passerby supposedly talking on a cell phone. That's right, a cell phone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8WF3vGUn8

Jim K

Rob Farr
Godfather

Re: Chaplin Time Traveler?

Postby Rob Farr » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:15 am

This started on the silent movie blogs and last night I saw it on the Yahoo News page. Skepticism abounds, but there are lots of photos and films of time travelers. Check out this modern day hipster caught on a trip back to 1940: http://forgetomori.com/2010/fortean/tim ... eum-photo/ And this historical marker: http://www.funnydb.com/Pictures/Signs/i ... -3854.html

So time travelers are all around us, flitting in and out of our mundane existence. Deal with it.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Rob Farr wrote:This started on the silent movie blogs and last night I saw it on the Yahoo News page. Skepticism abounds, but there are lots of photos and films of time travelers. Check out this modern day hipster caught on a trip back to 1940: http://forgetomori.com/2010/fortean/tim ... eum-photo/ And this historical marker: http://www.funnydb.com/Pictures/Signs/i ... -3854.html

So time travelers are all around us, flitting in and out of our mundane existence. Deal with it.

Okay, this takes the cake as the stupidest hoax/controversy/ you name it. The woman is obviously shielding her face from the camera with her purse and either talking to the cameraman or the person in front of her, or even just rambling nonsensically to herself (the way you used to identify looneys on the street before cellphones turned everyone into a rambling looney). If this is a time traveller, then in the future, the healthy diet has completely failed, or indeed it has proven my belief that irish washerwomen are the true timelords.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

David B Pearson
Capo

Postby David B Pearson » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:59 am

Richard M Roberts wrote: Okay, this takes the cake as the stupidest hoax/controversy/ you name it. The woman is obviously shielding her face from the camera with her purse and either talking to the cameraman or the person in front of her, or even just rambling nonsensically to herself (the way you used to identify looneys on the street before cellphones turned everyone into a rambling looney). If this is a time traveller, then in the future, the healthy diet has completely failed, or indeed it has proven my belief that irish washerwomen are the true timelords.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

I'm guessing lady has a toothache.
How hard is that to figure out?

DBP

Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:28 pm

It's my theory the woman was taking her pet mouse for a walk. The small critter got tired, so she was forced to carry it. The film shows her gently talking to the rodent to calm its frazzled nerves caused by LA's busy foot and automobile traffic. But of course this is purely conjecture on my part.

Jim K

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:38 pm

There are movies about time travelers ......................but they are all FICTION !!!

It is a man dressed up as a woman ( that tdid this so much - get whatever sex, color or social group out of whatever actors you had on hand by "dressing them up")

The man is dressed as a woman, but has the hand up a bit to block a really good look at the face that would have spouiled the illusion.

Or, were all that comedies that presented a person over 10 feet high just that - a 10 foot high person as opposed to a few actors standing on shoulders under a very long trench coat???????????????

Agnes McFadden
Agnes McFadden

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:35 pm

With all due respect Agnes, we are surrounded by time travelers. We're travelling into the future at a rate of approximately one year per revolution of the Earth around the Sun.

(Rob the smarty-pants know-it-all)
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:12 pm

I'll repeat what I said earlier last week when this was going around on Facebook (and is also one of the things Richard mentions): nowadays it's hard to tell the difference between people walking down the street talking to themselves, and people talking on cell phones. There were no cell phones then, so it's a crazy lady talking into her compact.

Robert Arkus
Capo

Postby Robert Arkus » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:46 am

I saw this last week and have received numereous emails with the link ... My first impression was that George Clarke has only explained why he's named his production company "Yellow Fever!" So, with a nod to Mr. Kerkhoff, I'm X-filing this under "Who gives a rat's ass."

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:45 pm

I must apologise to everyone in this forum; I'm afraid that was me on a recent visit to 1928. I frequently visit this time period in the hope that I will procure a print of "Heart Trouble". On this last trip, I thought I would check in back of every theatre, and root around in the dumpster; those huge rubbish bins named after Carol Dumpster. Anyway, when I do time travel, I wear loud women's clothing, clomp around in heels, and cuss & mumble into a compact in order to avoid suspicion. (I would never use a cell phone; that's just bloody stupid.)

Joe Migliore