Katherine Grant

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Yair Solan
Associate

Katherine Grant

Postby Yair Solan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:14 pm

Hello all,

I've added a short piece on Katherine Grant to my Chase site written by researcher Bill Cappello, who was able to uncover a bit more information on the elusive Ms. Grant, best known for her appearances in numerous Hal Roach comedies of the '20s with Charley Chase and Stan Laurel:

http://charleychase.50webs.com/kgrant.htm

As far as I know, a date of death for Katherine Grant hadn't been previously determined - certainly a sad end to both her life & career.
THE WORLD OF CHARLEY CHASE
http://www.charley-chase.com

Wm. Charles Morrow
Associate

Re: Katherine Grant

Postby Wm. Charles Morrow » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:15 am

Thank you for posting this, Yair, although it's terribly sad. I've always been impressed with Katherine Grant in her Roach comedies, and always wondered what became of her.

Richard Finegan

Postby Richard Finegan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:22 am

Great job, Bill. Good detective work.
I've always liked her in the Charley Chase shorts and sometimes had wondered what ever became of her.
Can anyone find and post some stills or portraits of her that are more representative of her than that one accompanying the article?

Chris Snowden
Associate

Postby Chris Snowden » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:33 pm

Richard Finegan wrote:Can anyone find and post some stills or portraits of her that are more representative of her than that one accompanying the article?

Here's one---

As struggling young actresses in the early 1920s, Grant and Esther Ralston were roommates for a time. There are a few stories about Katherine in Esther's autobiography.

The most vivid one is that Katherine would wash her underwear by taking a bath while wearing it!

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:51 pm

I always liked Katherine Grant in the Chase and Laurel shorts.

Chris, that's not her in the photo - was it supposed to be? LOL

SteveR

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Excellent work Bill! There's a lot of euphemistic language in the various period articles (and her mother's comments) that make it appear that there was something else not mentioned that was being covering up.

Chris Snowden
Associate

Postby Chris Snowden » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Steve Rydzewski wrote:I always liked Katherine Grant in the Chase and Laurel shorts.

Chris, that's not her in the photo - was it supposed to be? LOL

SteveR

Well, that's the ID on the back of the photo, but I think you're right. Let's try this one --

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:45 am

Katherine obviously forgot she had publicity photo's scheduled that day
for she arrived at the studio without a shirt on. What a faux pas!
Luckily her head scarf was handy.

These leading ladies showed as much ingenuity as the comedians they worked with.

Gary J.