Snark Ensemble to Play Slapsticon 2010 Mack Sennett show

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Snark Ensemble to Play Slapsticon 2010 Mack Sennett show

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:41 am

Always priding itself in presenting the best musical accompaniment for it’s presentations of Silent Film Comedy, Slapsticon is pleased to announce that the Arlington/Washington DC area-based group The Snark Ensemble will be making a special appearance to play new compositions for four silent Mack Sennett shorts, SHOT IN THE EXITEMENT (1914), DON’T WEAKEN (1920), THE FUNNYMOONERS (1926), and ICE COLD COCOS (1926) on Saturday Morning, July 17th at 10:30 am at the Spectrum Theater in Rosslyn VA.

The Snark Ensemble (snarkensemble.org) is an instrumental group dedicated to the creation and live performance of new music to silent film. The ensemble joyfully celebrates the zany, clever, and brilliant world of vintage silent comedies in its specially-crafted film scores. Built around a core of three composer-performers (Andrew Earle Simpson, keyboards; Maurice Saylor, woodwinds; and Phil Carluzzo, percussion and frets), the Snark Ensemble creates and performs scores which respond to and amplify the events taking place on screen.

To the composers of the Snark Ensemble, each film suggests a unique sound world. To this end, the multi-instrumental talents of the ensemble's composers and guest performers allow them to draw on an astonishing range of instruments and stylistic diversity. The ensemble also creates and performs concert versions of their film scores as well as music for dance and theater.

Since its founding in 2005, the members of the Snark Ensemble have composed and premiered more than thirty silent film scores for DVD release and live performance. They recently recorded three of their scores for a forthcoming audio release on Naxos Records. Snark Ensemble scores are available on two DVD sets on the All Day Entertainment label: LOST AND FOUND: THE HARRY LANGDON COLLECTION (2007) and BECOMING CHARLEY CHASE (2009).

For Slapsticon 2010, the Snark Ensemble will be joined by guest artists Ben Redwine and Dale Barton.

For more information, go to www.slapsticon.org

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Re: Snark Ensemble to Play Slapsticon 2010 Mack Sennett show

Postby Thomas Reeder » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:25 pm

You guys are outdoing yourselves this year - I'm really looking forward to this year's event! Thanks so much in advance to all involved for putting together what promises to be an exceptionally good show. See you there!

Tom Reeder

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Re: Snark Ensemble to Play Slapsticon 2010 Mack Sennett show

Postby Agnes McFadden » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:28 pm

I am looking forward to hering the Snark Ensamble in person .
I have heard them on the two "All Day Entertainment" releases and have seen the documentary on them.

Who is the other gentleman listed as an accompanist? I don't find any bio for him on the Slapsticon website.

I am truly looking forward to this!
Agnes McFadden