SLAPSTICON 2010 to unveil lost and unknown Chaplin Film

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: SLAPSTICON 2010 to unveil lost and unknown Chaplin Film

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:23 am

Hey Mr. Hayde, what the holy heck is this "alleged" final Keaton television appearance and the Chaplin Mutual outtakes shown to be "supposedly" belonging to the Killiam Collection? You go find a later TV appearance for Buster shot after October 1965 before you get so questioning and the Chaplin Mutual outtakes we showed definitely came from the Killiam Collection. End of story.

RICHARD M ROBERTS (still catching up on sleep and taking no guff)

Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Thanks for a great Slapsticon experience to all Silent Comedy Mafiosa involved! The highlight for me was finally being able to see what Stan Laurel considered to be one of his funniest gags in the second reel of "When Knights Were Cold" - the use of circus clown basket horses in a chase scene between Stan and a large crowd of knights in pursuit. But then again, everything on the program was great ... well, except for maybe "Laugh, Laugh, Laugh" which was actually kind of creepy. See 'ya all next year!

Jim K

Rob King
Associate

Postby Rob King » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:19 pm

Let me add my voice, too, to the chorus of thanks to the organizers. It’s a real testimony to Slapsticon’s ever-growing popularity and success that the bar seems set so ridiculously high, year after year. To be able to watch a Chaplin film that hasn’t been seen in nigh-on 90 years, and to do so with the Slapsticon crowd, helped make for a legendary night. When things like Modern Love or When Knights Were Cold are getting second billing, you know you have an extraordinary program.

Michael J Hayde
Associate

Postby Michael J Hayde » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:18 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:Hey Mr. Hayde, what the holy heck is this "alleged" final Keaton television appearance and the Chaplin Mutual outtakes shown to be "supposedly" belonging to the Killiam Collection? You go find a later TV appearance for Buster shot after October 1965 before you get so questioning and the Chaplin Mutual outtakes we showed definitely came from the Killiam Collection. End of story.

If you're so sleep deprived, RMR, what are you doing reading this stuff? Don't you have some 90-year-old gossip to dig up for next years' program book?

I'll not quibble about the Mutual Outtakes (all two of 'em) from Killiam. As for Mr. Keaton, I submit the "Salute to Stan Laurel," which aired on CBS on November 23, 1965. And, yes, we all know it was taped, and I'm sure you or one of the Capos (or Damfinos) knows exactly when. I recall, though, that you hedged your own bets when introducing the "Flashbacks" clip, prefaced with "we're told it's his last TV appearance" or some such phrase. Since so much of TV is ephemeral, even in the mid-sixties, it's more likely that a later Keaton broadcast could emerge from its ashes than, say, a 96-year-old unknown Chaplin cameo at a flea market.

MICHAEL J HAYDE (fully rested and refreshed, thank you)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:41 am

Michael J Hayde wrote:
Richard M Roberts wrote:Hey Mr. Hayde, what the holy heck is this "alleged" final Keaton television appearance and the Chaplin Mutual outtakes shown to be "supposedly" belonging to the Killiam Collection? You go find a later TV appearance for Buster shot after October 1965 before you get so questioning and the Chaplin Mutual outtakes we showed definitely came from the Killiam Collection. End of story.

If you're so sleep deprived, RMR, what are you doing reading this stuff? Don't you have some 90-year-old gossip to dig up for next years' program book?

I'll not quibble about the Mutual Outtakes (all two of 'em) from Killiam. As for Mr. Keaton, I submit the "Salute to Stan Laurel," which aired on CBS on November 23, 1965. And, yes, we all know it was taped, and I'm sure you or one of the Capos (or Damfinos) knows exactly when. I recall, though, that you hedged your own bets when introducing the "Flashbacks" clip, prefaced with "we're told it's his last TV appearance" or some such phrase. Since so much of TV is ephemeral, even in the mid-sixties, it's more likely that a later Keaton broadcast could emerge from its ashes than, say, a 96-year-old unknown Chaplin cameo at a flea market.

MICHAEL J HAYDE (fully rested and refreshed, thank you)

Keaton's appearance on the Stan Laurel tribute was shot in late Summer of 1965, (though not broadcast until November) before he went to Toronto to film THE SCRIBE,and was thought to be his final TV appearance before the FLASHBACK appearance turned up. So go find us another later appearance before you start "alledging" things round here Sonny! And whining that there were only two Chaplin Mutual outtakes (we actually showed quite a bit of other rare Chaplin footage apart from those) shows why your fully rested and refreshed. Again, go find some more before you look down anyones nose at me. de'se tings don't grow on trees.

RICHARD M ROBERTS(red-eyed back to Phoenix this wee early morning, so now jet-lagged and sleep-deprived. Will eat all whiners for breakfast)

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Can someone refresh my memory.....what's the story behind Rob Stone uncovering the reel of "When Knights Were Cold"?
Or hasn't this even been discussed?

Gary J.