Langdon Gag in Jimmy Fielder's Parade of Silent Has Beens

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Rob Farr
Godfather

Langdon Gag in Jimmy Fielder's Parade of Silent Has Beens

Postby Rob Farr » Wed May 05, 2010 10:06 pm

Did anyone catch the 1938 Jimmy Fielder's Personality Parade on Tuesday morning? It had something like 60 clips of silent and early talkie stars, mostly culled from newsreels. But it had a clip of Harry Langdon on a golf course, hitting a ball and running away as it boomerangs back on him. I couldn't place the gag for the life of me, and knew it wasn't from the 1933 Paramount newsreel because Harry wears glasses in that one. But it turns out to be from a 1928 Columbia Screen Snapshots, thanks to Floyd Bennett's old Harry site, now maintained by David Pearson. And the narration was a hoot: "His fall from stardom is still a Hollywood mystery." Wonder if a decent run of those still exist? Sure would make a nice DVD.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Re: Langdon Gag in Jimmy Fielder's Parade of Silent Has Beens

Postby Agnes McFadden » Thu May 06, 2010 12:09 am

I did catch it, but have also seen it before.

The naration ranges from silly to grating - especially for the stars who had already died by the time of the short.
He tries to come up with different comments for each star, but for the decesed stars he fails (at times, miserably).

I like it for the clips of all the stars.

I did see the snip of Langdon on the golf course, but also couldn't dicern its origin. Thanks for clearing that up.
Agnes McFadden

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Thu May 06, 2010 9:29 am

For those who missed it, here it is on tcm.com (Hey look Rob, I found it! :))
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index.jsp?cid=142757

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Thu May 06, 2010 12:04 pm

And make sure you stay to the end so you can see Jean Harlow's disembodied head ascend to Heaven.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx