Slapsticon 2010

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Louie Despres
Associate

Slapsticon 2010

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Any new titles been added to this year's schedule, other than what’s on the website?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Slapsticon 2010

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:17 pm

Louie Despres wrote:Any new titles been added to this year's schedule, other than what’s on the website?

I'm working on a program schedule with days and times that will go up soon. New titles include the complete MODERN LOVE (1929) with Charley Chase, THE CAVEMAN (1926) with Marie Prevost and Tom Moore, and SOUTH OF THE BOUDOIR (1940) with Charley Chase,

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:21 pm

SUPER! I'm a little short $$$$$ wise and am trying to make a final decision and these are certainly a point in the "going" column!

Dino Everett
Associate

Postby Dino Everett » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:34 pm

I just noticed that Slapsticon and the SF silent film festival are on the exact same dates this year, which cancels me out... I'm very disappointed I am going to miss another one, since money is tight I was already going to have to come alone but since my wife already booked our SF hotel, etc I'm locked into that one...Hopefully I'll catch one of the NIles' programs before next years I guess. : (

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Dino Everett wrote:I just noticed that Slapsticon and the SF silent film festival are on the exact same dates this year, which cancels me out... I'm very disappointed I am going to miss another one, since money is tight I was already going to have to come alone but since my wife already booked our SF hotel, etc I'm locked into that one...Hopefully I'll catch one of the NIles' programs before next years I guess. : (

Well, feel free to complain to the SFSFF folk about this, the people who used to run that fest used to check with us every year to see that that didn't happen and the new people had no one to blame but themselves for not checking. We announced our dates last August, they didn't announce until February this year!

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Sun May 02, 2010 10:56 pm

I remember that the first year of Slapsticon (2003), the two festivals were the same time. That year both were on the 2nd weekend of July.

It was mentioned that this was a problem for some, and the "Godfathers" agreed try not to compete for fans with SF. We have generally been the 3rd week of July since ( with one year being the 4th week of July , as I remember) Since SF is pretty locked into the 2nd week, it wasn't an issue since.

Slapsticon is again the 3rd week of July, and if SF decided to change their week at the last minute, shame on them.

I applaud the efforts of the "Slapsticon Godfathers" in their attempt to not compete with the SFSFF for fans, but if SFSFF makes a unilateral decision to move to the week Slapsticon generally meets, and makes that decision late in the process, there isn't much that can be done.

I am so excited that Slapsticon is only 10.5 weeks away!
Agnes McFadden

Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Mon May 03, 2010 8:29 pm

Ditto! Richard does a great job programming the four-day event. And all of the Slapsticon "worker bees" are so dedicated at making it such a thoroughly enjoyable experience that I can't wait for July to roll around!

Jim K