Buster Keaton's San Francisco footsteps

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
John Bengtson

Buster Keaton's San Francisco footsteps

Postby John Bengtson » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:46 am

Buster filmed scenes from Day Dreams (1922) and The Navigator (1924) across San Francisco. Most locations look remarkably unchanged a century later. My latest YouTube video reveals every SF locale, intercut with scenes where Buster “cheated” by also filming in Hollywood and Oakland instead.

Three San Francisco landmarks would have appeared in the background of Buster's scenes, but they hadn't been built yet. The Lombard Street hairpin turns, Saints Peter and Paul Church on Washington Square, and Coit Tower on Telegraph Hill were completed after he filmed.

This post https://wp.me/p11nfB-5JT contains more vintage aerial views, but all "then and now" views are clearly presented in the video.

William Ferry
Cugine

Re: Buster Keaton's San Francisco footsteps

Postby William Ferry » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:47 pm

These are always fascinating. Thanks for all the great detective work. Sometimes it's sad to see the changes that Progress has wrought, but it's fun to pretend the ghosts of Comedy are on the scene to reenact these moments.

Before I lapse into a Youngson voice over (not a bad thing, btw), I have to wonder what they were thinking with the Lombard layout. That just seems like a recipe for MORE accidents.

John Bengtson

Postby John Bengtson » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:04 pm

William Ferry wrote:I have to wonder what they were thinking with the Lombard layout. That just seems like a recipe for MORE accidents.

It was a steep, brick street, so the hairpin turns lessened the slope and slowed down traffic. Remarkably it was a TWO-WAY street for about 15 years! But back then no one knew about it, or used it, except the few people who lived on that block.

William Ferry
Cugine

Postby William Ferry » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:47 pm

Thanks, John. That does clear it up!