SPUDS (1927) Larry Semon

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

SPUDS (1927) Larry Semon

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:57 pm

Here's the Pathex cutdown of Larry Semon's last feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69dEOtQA9Xg&t=433s

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Louie Despres
Associate

Re: SPUDS (1927) Larry Semon

Postby Louie Despres » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:14 pm

This film, for whatever reason, gets a bad rap but when it was shown at one of the Slapsticon's, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:10 am

Louie Despres wrote:This film, for whatever reason, gets a bad rap but when it was shown at one of the Slapsticon's, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

It didn't get a bad rap at Slapsticon, it was a big hit at Slapsticon, then Schlesinger booked it for Cinecon and their typical humorously-challenged audience hated it, as I warned him they would. There's one schmuck on one of the collectors newsgroups who still whines about how viewing it traumatized him for life or some such, which I find doubtful that he ever had a life in the first place if it upset him so. He also blames me for it, and as I said, I didn't book it for Cinecon, Schlesinger did.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:00 am

It is a wonderful comedy, with a heartfelt tribute to Chaplin, that is laden with gobs of racial humor. I would expect to see Topsy and Eva released on home video before this one.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:51 am

Rob Farr wrote:It is a wonderful comedy, with a heartfelt tribute to Chaplin, that is laden with gobs of racial humor. I would expect to see Topsy and Eva released on home video before this one.

This film was an unexpected delight, with Larry giving his most sympathetic and appealing performance. Thoroughly enjoyed SPUDS at Slapsticon, what a pity it's unlikely to see wider circulation due to that aspect you cited, Rob.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)