Another Larry Semon Question

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
David B Pearson
Capo

Another Larry Semon Question

Postby David B Pearson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:45 pm

While gathering Larry Semon material, I've acquired at least three versions of this two reeler called, in various forms THE SLEUTH, THE AGENT, and LARRY SEMON & THE YELLOW FEAR, all of which are wrong. Also looked through the IMDb (which I know can be shaky evidence) and failed to find anything even close to a match.

The plot (such as it is): Semon plays a detective trying to break up a smuggling outfit operating behind Chinatown cabaret/restaurant located (naturally) 40 feet below the streets of Los Angeles. Larry somehow gets into an opium den, and gets a serious dose of "dope," that first puts him in slow motion, and they turns him into Popeye, giving himself super strength and allowing him to climb tall buildings, ala Harold Lloyd, but a lot faster. After some dizzy thrills, it all turns out to be just a story writer Lawrence Semon its describing to actor Larry Semon, who calls the writer nuts, and walks out. The End.

Looks a lot like a take on MYSTERY OF THE LEAPING FISH (1916), so it may be fairly close in time to the Fairbanks film. Maybe 1917 or 1918. The film has no intertitles, as it all seems to source from the Italian "Let's Smile" series.

Semon is in traditionial extended overalls, bowler, and whiteface. There's no Oliver Hardy or Spencer Bell, and Frank Alexander is looking younger -- with a comparatively trim waistline -- in what would have been the Hardy-type villain role. The girl appears to be Lucille Carlisle as the cabaret singer.

What the heck is this?

Rob Farr
Godfather

Re: Another Larry Semon Question

Postby Rob Farr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:29 pm

According to Claudia Sassen's database of foreign Larry Semon titles, Larry Semon and the Yellow Fear is actually The Fly Cop (3-19-20). Her work is an indispensable tool when IDing those pesky Italian TV titles.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

David B Pearson
Capo

Re: Another Larry Semon Question

Postby David B Pearson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:41 pm

Rob Farr wrote:According to Claudia Sassen's database of foreign Larry Semon titles, Larry Semon and the Yellow Fear is actually The Fly Cop (3-19-20). Her work is an indispensable tool when IDing those pesky Italian TV titles.

Thanks to Rob for the correct answer, the database, and a whole lot more in helping me with my Semon research. I may know some of the comedians very well, but in other cases, I am still very much a babe in the woods.

DBP