Mississippi or Missouri?

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
David B Pearson
Capo

Mississippi or Missouri?

Postby David B Pearson » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:31 am

Where the heck was Larry Semon born?

West Point, Mississippi or West Point, Missouri?

Different books say different things, and both places are real.

David B Pearson
Capo

Re: Mississippi or Missouri?

Postby David B Pearson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Doesn't anybody know for sure?

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:54 pm

Well, his 1900 and 1920 census records say Mississippi, and his World War I Draft Registration says West Point, Mississippi. (I can't find him in the 1910 census.)

What's weird is, the Draft Registration (and it's definitely him--it gives his occupation as Motion Picture Director, Vitagraph) gives his birth date as February 9, 1889, instead of the usual July 6, 1889. But his 1900 census, where they recorded the birth month, does have July. However, both the 1900 and 1920 census' give his age as such to have been born in 1891, rather than 1889. It's common for adults to shave a couple years on their census ages, but in 1900 it would have been his parents filling it out probably. Anyway, the standard birth date info may be true, but I'd say there's more discrepancy about his birthdate than birth locale. However, I don't know if any of the Semon researchers have tracked down his actual birth certificate.

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:10 pm

Actually, the 1900 census listing I found for a Lawrence Semon, born July 1889, gives his birthplace as New York not Misssissippi and, his parents' as Germany. He was living in Brooklyn. However, this looks like a different Larry Semon.

I haven't done much research on him, and I know others have, and I think discovered him being born in 1882. However, the 1920 census and 1918 draft registration are definitely the comedian--whether he's telling the truth about his birthplace is another question I guess.

David B Pearson
Capo

Postby David B Pearson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Brent Walker wrote:Actually, the 1900 census listing I found for a Lawrence Semon, born July 1889, gives his birthplace as New York not Misssissippi and, his parents' as Germany. He was living in Brooklyn. However, this looks like a different Larry Semon.

I haven't done much research on him, and I know others have, and I think discovered him being born in 1882. However, the 1920 census and 1918 draft registration are definitely the comedian--whether he's telling the truth about his birthplace is another question I guess.

Thanks Brent. I guess I'll go with the Mississippi location.

One must wonder being born in Mississippi and educated in South Carolina whether Larry Semon had a southern accent or not -- a possible link for his close association with Babe Hardy. All the more sad that he would die in 1928 before the public heard his voice.

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:15 pm

David B Pearson wrote:One must wonder being born in Mississippi and educated in South Carolina whether Larry Semon had a southern accent or not -- a possible link for his close association with Babe Hardy. All the more sad that he would die in 1928 before the public heard his voice.

I think like Keaton in Kansas, he was only born in Mississippi because that's where his father, the magician Zera the Great, was playing at the time. I believe most of Semon's family roots are in and around the Philadelphia area--Steve Rydzewski was doing some research on that end.

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:17 pm

It would be interesting to see if there was a local paper that might show when and where Zera the Great was playing in West Point. Of course, with a possible variance in years that might be cumbersome to do (if there are surviving papers or microfilm).