Johnnie Gray Rides Again

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Ed Watz
Associate

Johnnie Gray Rides Again

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:59 pm

Buster Keaton drives a steam locomotive into the Munich Central train station during German Mardi Gras, while the Bundeswehr Military Band plays a medley of songs from the Old South. Apart from the delightful incongruity which Keaton likely enjoyed, there is something elegiac and very satisfying seeing Buster here, on the threshold of having his classic films rediscovered throughout the world. No filmed footage seems to have been captured during his 1965 Venice ovation, but these brief scenes from February 1962 almost make up for that loss:

https://youtu.be/NLePxt7u_E0
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Johnnie Gray Rides Again

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:06 pm

Welcome back Ed, and thank you for the delightful Keaton footage. I got a tinge of concern seeing them hand Buster a giant stein of beer, but he made a nice bit of business out of the confetti and we didn't see him drink it.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

DaveGlass

Postby DaveGlass » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:01 am

Wow!
Wonderful!
Thanks Ed : )

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:03 pm

Great footage, Ed, but most certainly a US Army band.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:58 am

Many thanks Louie for identifying that the band was comprised of U.S. Military personnel. My research through German newspapers of the time only indicated that Buster was welcomed by "einer Militärkapelle" (a military band) without mentioning that they were Americans. And the high-crowned caps that the band wears here resembles the ones worn by the German Army. (It didn't help me any that the German stationmasters are also seen in their military-style uniforms!)
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:44 am

Speaking of Buster's 1965 visit to the Venice Film Festival, a cultural site in that city posted on YouTube a series of photos from that occasion, several of which haven't been seen previously. Here's the Google translation:

"During the 1900s, the Giacomelli Agency accompanied and documented the appointments of the Venice Film Festival, immortalizing some of its main protagonists with portraits and ambient shots.
In 1965, accompanied by his wife Eleanor Ruth Norris, a legend of cinema of all times, Buster Keaton, arrives in Venice. The occasion, the presentation of the short film "Film" directed by Alan Schneider based on a script by Samuel Beckett, which sees him as the protagonist. Keaton arrived at the Lido rather reluctantly, determined to stay no more than one night and without interviews, but distributor and collector Raymond Rohauer agreed with Luigi Chiarini, director of the festival, to arrange a warm welcome for him in the Sala Grande. It was September 1, 1965. It was a real riot, and the 70-year-old comedian leaned forward and expressed his gratitude with a simple 'I'm glad to see you,' softening his famous mask into a smile."

https://youtu.be/_j0gR9Dib-U